Pitching I/R help please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
I would have to know what pitch Ueno is throwing and she has some funky releases. Articles are not always clear. I would not use an elite release for working with kids as, for example, Jenny likes the riseball and the peel screw, and that effects her style overall.

Fastball. The release is not that important as long as you are not forcing it into an unnatural position (hello elbow). You have to remember that the release is the way the body slows down and protects the arm after the "violent" arm whip taking place upstream. Sarah Pauly, Ueno, Finch, Amanda etc all have different looking releases but the one thing they ALL have in common is they are allowing the arm to complete its internal rotation, which is key. There is not more than one way to skin the cat, the best pitchers in the world get their arm and hand into the correct slot at release. What happens after release is very individualistic.

Also note at 3 oclock how Ueno opens her palm to the sky (thx BM) and immediately drops her elbow into the slot (hip) as her arm internally rotates around this point. Again, all great pitchers perform this movement.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Its amazing what some umpires think a strike zone is... we are a human and are prone to mistakes but the variances have ranged from a postage stamp to the hood of an olds 98... all I ask is for them to be consistent.

Feb 7, 2013
Not so sure about the fastball. From what I read, no one at the elite level throws one.

I though I read she has at least a curve and a cutter or something. And that video is an ad, so faked up a bit on the travel of the ball.

Left field - I'm not sure what your point is? Are you saying that she doesn't actually pitch like this in a real game? It's pretty irrelevant if the pitch she is throwing is a cutter, screw ball, or fastball. How she uses her arm whip to generate spin and velocity are almost identical for each of those pitches. Have you read any of Boardmembers threads on IR? Extremely helpful in understanding how the shoulder, upper and lower arms, and hand most efficiently generate velocity and spin to the pitch.

Feb 7, 2013
Why so much defensiveness?

The position and path of the hand at the bottom of the circle, the finger snap and follow through change with the type of pitch, that's why.

I already stated that it's not my type of stuff, BM's info. It there some requirement to follow someone's long winded and confusing posts and agree to something I don't get, as if it were a religion?

Some of us like KIS (without the stupid) but I don't care if you think I am stupid.

The point of this forum is to educate. If you choose not to enlighten yourself, that is your choice. The IR thread was eye opening for me and probably for the other 35,000 people who have viewed it. Call it a religion if you want, I call it an education.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Left Field,
Almost every effective pitcher uses whip and the elite all maximize the whip with I/R. Simply put, whip is leading with the elbow then momentarily pausing the upper arm to allow the lower arm to loosely whip through release. I/R maximizes whip. With the exception of a change up, every movement pitch relies on whip and I/R for speed and spin. Read the I/R threads. Try it for yourself. Watch slow motion video of the world's best.

It's not a mindset based on faith. It's knowledge based on observable and demonstrable fact.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Apologies. I forgot the key point. I/R, for our purposes, is the rotation of a limb towards the midline of the body. As we utilize it, it is the rotation of the arm from twisted clockwise to counterclockwise (RHP.) It is maximizing the potential of every joint in the arm to whip.

Whip can occur without using I/R in the forearm. A release with the elbow leading and locking at the ribcage, but the palm facing the direction of travel, uses only I/R of the upper arm.

A release that leads with the elbow and the palm up, but finishes palm down has maximized I/R for the most efficient method to deliver a pitch.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2008
Yaaaa for all you guys and gals who actually get it.........Or at least now understand the principle mechanics of what they knew was different for the high level pitchers, but couldn't figure it out.......Or explain it..........

Hundreds.......No......From the thread view count........Thousands of people now understand what 3/4 of the PC's in the nation do not understand.........Even the most highly compensated ones.........And you got it for free........

This is NOT how it's done by the BEST in the game..........

Remember........you can't save everyone.........So don't even try........

Aug 2, 2008
You cant even show most of them video and get them to admit they have it wrong.

And as I have said many times Boardmember, thanks for fighting the good fight and sharing your knowledge. It makes us almost forget the large sums of money most of us have paid shi**y instructors over the years.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019
I have read this old post and if I am understanding forearm fire and IR are not the same thing. What exactly are the differences. To me the hand seems different at 12, and there is no brush. Am I on the right track. We are looking for a pitching coach for our daughter, and I think have found one. I basically said, I want her taught the Bill Hillhouse way ��

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles