Pitches and CWS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
" Would a ball even have time to break over 35 feet at 73 mph? We need an expert in aerodynamics :) "

I would think spin rate will need to be astronomical.
I mean just by the different forces exerted it would have to break more than a fastball..but probably not a whole bunch. This is why (IMO) you won't see a Greg Maddux type pitcher dominating in softball..his movement was ridiculous and combine that with his control...The break even for somebody who only throws 60 wouldn't be ridiculous enough to have as much of an effect as this did:

Nov 18, 2015
I was amazed at Monica Abbott's rise back in Feb in Dallas. She doesn't have backspin either. She has more curveball like spin. Not bullet!! But, not backspin either. Osterman had close to backspin.
Bill - not sure if you saw Cat's tweet from yesterday, responding to a similar thread about the spins - "Bullet spin is my fastball".

(Not arguing for or against the existence of a FB - just highlighting the fact that Osterman also seems to acknowledge the difference b/w a "true rise" and an "ESPN rise".)

Aug 21, 2008
Bill - not sure if you saw Cat's tweet from yesterday, responding to a similar thread about the spins - "Bullet spin is my fastball".

(Not arguing for or against the existence of a FB - just highlighting the fact that Osterman also seems to acknowledge the difference b/w a "true rise" and an "ESPN rise".)

We spoke about that in the dugout in Dallas a few months ago. I asked with an incredulous look: "You throw a "fastball"? She said " no, not in games. ESPECIALLY because I have bullet spin on it" That is a direct quote.

Apr 12, 2015
What I have noticed about Rochard’s rise is that it actually appears to “float” up when it reaches the better - making it appear to be coming in a little slower. This is what I’ve noticed when pitchers throw the rise with as close to correct spin as possible. The bullet spin rise appears to just go diagonally upwards (and faster) instead of that late “float” at the end of the pitch.

A bullet-spin "riseball" should be more accurately termed a ramp ball. Its basically just high heat thrown up a ramp. It won't have the strong illusion to it that a true riseball does.

Of course that doesn't prevent ESPN's Smith from declaring the "three feet of break on that riseball" 🤷‍♂️

Aug 21, 2008
If you get a chance, you should watch Keely Rochard (VTU's pitcher) throw against UCLA. She was something else. She was the best pitcher in the UCLA v. VT series.

UCLA had the better team and two very good pitchers. Rochard wore out.

She had great control and composure.

She "cheated" in the same sense that runners try leaving base early. She only did it when she needed to, and she was smart about it.

Whenever she wanted to throw an outside pitch to a lefty, she would step out of the pitching lane. She didn't do it every pitch. Really, really smart pitcher.

Gillis is a REALLY REALLy smart coach. He's not going to win any congenial or personality awards but, he knows pitching. He was a great pitcher for a very long time. National champion, All American, etc. As I said, I didn't really watch it. Honestly, 2 Time Olympic Gold Medalist Michele Smith makes my ears wanna throw up. I've still never seen this Fouts kid pitch. I would watch tonight but, I started a new Netflix series that I won't turn off to listen to her. Another guy doing a great job in college is Pete Meredith at BYU. Hard to describe how good Meredith was, his BYU bio tells you a lot. He seems to do a great job with BYU pitchers and tells me he throws 300 pitches per day in BP. I would think he'd have a more difficult time recruting at BYU. I'm not sure if being a Mormon is required to be a student or not, I think so. Imagine how much that would shrink your recruiting pool down?

Aug 21, 2008
A bullet-spin "riseball" should be more accurately termed a ramp ball. Its basically just high heat thrown up a ramp. It won't have the strong illusion to it that a true riseball does.

Of course that doesn't prevent ESPN's Smith from declaring the "three feet of break on that riseball" 🤷‍♂️

D**M IT!! This is the last time I'll remind you guys, Its: 2 TIME OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALIST MICHELE SMITH.

Jun 8, 2016
D**M IT!! This is the last time I'll remind you guys, Its: 2 TIME OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALIST MICHELE SMITH.
There is this thing called a mute button but I guess if you used that you couldn’t come on here and whine about her...

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Seems like the big combination this year is a bullet spin rise coupled with a 12-6 drop/fb.

I've not seen a 6-12 rise or any 9-3/3-9 pitches.

Anyone see something different?
I was just noticing everything by Montana Fouts is bullet spin. However, in typical announcer fashion, up and it’s a rise; down and it’s a drop. Both were bullet spin.

I think it was s pitcher from OU a couple years back that threw as close to 6-12 rise as you can get, and also threw a drop with correct rotation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi