Pitches and CWS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2018
Seems like the big combination this year is a bullet spin rise coupled with a 12-6 drop/fb.

I've not seen a 6-12 rise or any 9-3/3-9 pitches.

Anyone see something different?

I think the freshman from Clemson had a true rise and an off speed rise. I believe it was Clemson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 21, 2008
Haven't been watching so I can't comment too much on too many pitchers. But, it's not surprising to read here that the Va Tech pitcher had the best spin according to some here. Doug Gillis is a great coach of pitching and would be teaching backspin as much as possible. Nobody will have 6/12 spin, NOBODY. It's almost impossible to do on a riseball but the goal is to get as close to that as you can.

I've said for 2 years now that Garcia, and now Fouts (according to what I'm reading) don't get alot of K's because of great movement. They get it because they throw 5-10 mph faster than their opponents. Moreover, they throw even harder than what the kids would see in BP. This is why the VA Tech beating UCLA last week didn't surprise me, I bet Gillis threw tons of BP to their hitters prepping them for Garcia's velocity. Why didn't they hit her in the other games? I don't know, adjustments were made. Maybe VA tech didn't do the same prep for those games? I don't know.

I was amazed at Monica Abbott's rise back in Feb in Dallas. She doesn't have backspin either. She has more curveball like spin. Not bullet!! But, not backspin either. Osterman had close to backspin.

Dec 11, 2010
Fouts and many others are tall enough that it makes the pitching distance look short.

Every time I see it I think “why is the rubber so close”. Usually it’s when they are warming up and you are walking by the bull pen… Looks like they are pitching from 35’

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
But, it's not surprising to read here that the Va Tech pitcher had the best spin according to some here. Doug Gillis is a great coach of pitching and would be teaching backspin as much as possible. in.

If you get a chance, you should watch Keely Rochard (VTU's pitcher) throw against UCLA. She was something else. She was the best pitcher in the UCLA v. VT series.

UCLA had the better team and two very good pitchers. Rochard wore out.

She had great control and composure.

She "cheated" in the same sense that runners try leaving base early. She only did it when she needed to, and she was smart about it.

Whenever she wanted to throw an outside pitch to a lefty, she would step out of the pitching lane. She didn't do it every pitch. Really, really smart pitcher.

Apr 1, 2017
Fouts and many others are tall enough that it makes the pitching distance look short.

Every time I see it I think “why is the rubber so close”. Usually it’s when they are warming up and you are walking by the bull pen… Looks like they are pitching from 35’
The ball leaves Fouts hand at about 36' away at 70+. Makes you wonder how anybody gets a hit.

Apr 8, 2019
Seems like the big combination this year is a bullet spin rise coupled with a 12-6 drop/fb.

I've not seen a 6-12 rise or any 9-3/3-9 pitches.

Anyone see something different?
I have a fairly limited physics knowledge base. Could someone point me towards an explanation of how it would be possible to get rise out of bullet spin?

Nov 8, 2018
I have a fairly limited physics knowledge base. Could someone point me towards an explanation of how it would be possible to get rise out of bullet spin?

Yaw. Tough concept. But basically if you throw it with a dot (small or large) spin the yaw of the are flow over and under the ball allows it to drop less than other pitches. Ie dot rise or bullet soon rise. I believe the smooth area or dot needs to be on top so the air flow over the top of the ball is less.
I’m no expert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk