Pitches and CWS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
What I have noticed about Rochard’s rise is that it actually appears to “float” up when it reaches the better - making it appear to be coming in a little slower. This is what I’ve noticed when pitchers throw the rise with as close to correct spin as possible. The bullet spin rise appears to just go diagonally upwards (and faster) instead of that late “float” at the end of the pitch.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
What I have noticed about Rochard’s rise is that it actually appears to “float” up when it reaches the better - making it appear to be coming in a little slower. This is what I’ve noticed when pitchers throw the rise with as close to correct spin as possible. The bullet spin rise appears to just go diagonally upwards (and faster) instead of that late “float” at the end of the pitch.

That’s a good description of the two rises.

A bullet spin relies on speed to fight gravity. At 36 feet and 70+ MPH, the ball maintains an upward trajectory that most can’t touch.

A backspin rise seems to float like a change up with helium. The more backspin, the more off-speed and floaty.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018
I wish the ESPN folks would just give Fouts credit for what she’s doing. Arizona is a good-hitting team and she just plain threw it past them. She’s painting the corners at 73 mph from the edge of the circle, I think there was a point in the third or fourth inning where only the slappers had even made contact.

In the postgame interview with Hemphill, they kept going on about the riseball spin. She doesn’t need it. She used pinpoint location and dominant speed to mow down one of the best teams in the country.

Roll Tide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
She doesn’t need it. She used pinpoint location and dominant speed to mow down one of the best teams in the country.
Maybe..but you take away a pitch and that gives hitters one less thing to worry about. We saw it when the umpires took away the low strike from Plain in the second game against OU in the Super Regionals and pretty much rendered her drop useless. Fouts is better than Plain though so who knows..

Jul 14, 2018
Maybe..but you take away a pitch and that gives hitters one less thing to worry about. We saw it when the umpires took away the low strike from Plain in the second game against OU in the Super Regionals and pretty much rendered her drop useless. Fouts is better than Plain though so who knows..

That’s what makes Fouts so good. She doesn’t need the ump to call a low strike so she can throw a drop, or an outside strike so she can mix in a curve. High, low, outside... it was all trajectory with bullet spin. And her control was so good (no walks), that she could adjust her spots to accommodate the zone.

Would a ball even have time to break over 35 feet at 73 mph? We need an expert in aerodynamics :)

Jun 8, 2016
That’s what makes Fouts so good. She doesn’t need the ump to call a low strike so she can throw a drop, or an outside strike so she can mix in a curve. High, low, outside... it was all trajectory with bullet spin. And her control was so good (no walks), that she could adjust her spots to accommodate the zone.

Would a ball even have time to break over 35 feet at 73 mph? We need an expert in aerodynamics :)

Yeah I think I misinterpreted (actually more like misread) your comment, sorry. I thought you were saying that if they took away her riseball it wouldn't matter. It might not matter enough to make a huge difference but anything that makes it easier for the hitter (and taking away an effective pitch does this)
is to the benefit of the batter 🤷‍♂️

Jun 7, 2016
" Would a ball even have time to break over 35 feet at 73 mph? We need an expert in aerodynamics :) "

I would think spin rate will need to be astronomical.

Jul 14, 2018
I would think spin rate will need to be astronomical.

The best men’s pitchers certainly get break at higher speeds after leaping, so the spin rate probably does play a big role.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad