Pitcher stamina

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 14, 2010
Ohio
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any good drills/excersize ides to help my daughter build her stamina up during tourney travel ball?

Also anyone know of any free websites that provide tracking stats (hitting/pitching/etc.)?

I currently use a website called Slugger Stats, it's free but does not have a area for pitching stats.

Thanks for your help.:confused:

Last edited:

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
First off, drills and excercise to help build stamina are going to vary by age.

If you have an iPhone/iPad or a phone that runs Androis OS, iScore is AWESOME!!!!! I have been keeping stats for my DD and her teams for a year with it and am regularly amazed at the depth of stats kept, just by scoring games....

Jul 26, 2010
I like interval training for pitchers. If you have a 1/4 track nearby, do a good dynamic warmup and have her sprint the straights and walk the turns. Do two laps at first and then work up to 8 laps. Have her pitch afterwords, so she learns how to pitch tired. Running the bleachers is also a great workout for pitchers.

At my TB practices, at the end, I have all my pitchers and catchers line up (catchers along the 3b line), pitcher throws 3 pitches to the catcher and then moves down to the next catcher, when they finish the last catcher, pitcher runs to the OF fence and then back to the first catcher. Have them go through this about 5 times or so.

-W

Mar 15, 2011
My DDs pitching coach has a drill for stamina that he uses at the end of her lesson.

He sits to the side of the rubber, tosses her a ball and she pitches it as hard as she can, then immediately gets back to the rubber and he tosses her another one. They repeat this, pitching hard and fast (no rest between pitches) for ten balls, and then take a one minute break, and repeat the above for 4-6 reps. At first her arm was dead tired after this but over time she was able to build up her stamina.

It appears to work as she seems to actually get stronger during the later innings of the game while other pitchers seem to slow down. Of course I'm just a crazy dad so that could all be my imagination. LOL

Oh, and the other thing she did was join the fall cross country team. She wasn't good at it by a long way but it did build her stamina and also helped her learn how to deal with the mental part of pushing through fatigue.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2009
Philippines
Interval training would be a good way to keep stamina maintenance during tournament. Alternate sprints and light jogs or you can do it on a bike (if available) 30 secs sprints, 1mins slow spin for 6-8 sets

you can sprint the fastest to first base then light jog around the remaining bases. Then sprint again to first, you can do this for 6-8 rounds if you in top peak condition then 10 sets would do.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My DD would end all of her pitching practices with a short game of pitch and fetch. She would pitch the ball to me (catcher) then run and retrieve the ball from me, run back to the pitcher plate and pitch the ball, then retreive it... After 10 back and forths we would be done. I kept track of balls and strikes and the goal was over 50% strikes. What I really liked about this drill was, the next time she is pitching in a tight situation at the end of a game and the heart starts beating faster and maybe she is a little tired. She has practiced under those circumstances

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
How old is your DD?

Generally, running is great for stamina.

Also, working her really hard in practice will also help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez