Mental health help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
Please feel free to share this in other sections of DFP:

I've been writing this and re-writing this several times, trying to find the right words for this because it's an important topic and something like this is pretty unique. We all know mental health is in the news now more than ever and these issues effect coaches and players a great deal. I know I've recommended on this website, other websites, and in my lessons that teams/parents/pitchers should work with Sports Psychologists on the mental side of pitching, how to stay focused, how to manage anxiety, etc. This shouldn't need to be said but I'm going to say it anyway, I am not getting a commission or anything for this post. I just think it's a service many could benefit from. Derek is a great guy with a HUGE softball background.

Derek Mayson is the starting 3rd baseman and Captain for the Canadian National men's team (and is also a REALLY good pitcher!). Unbeknownst to me, Derek had to deal with his own issues of anxiety as a player and even took a season off to deal with things. Now Derek has opened a business that is specialized in players and teams, helping their mental health in athletes and coaches. I am pretty sure he has both individual and team programs.

• Locked In Mental Training Program: https://www.lockedinmentaltraining.com/
  • Developed by current Team Canada Men's National Team Captain, previous World Champion and Pan Am Games Gold Medalist whose become a leader in the mental skills training space having worked to overcome some challenges earlier in his career
  • 6-week online guided course that teaches athletes and coaches about the mind, how to perform in the present, how to work with challenging thinking, how to connect with inner belief and how to address common obstacles like slumps, fear of failure, etc.
  • Users access it through their phone or other device and listen to a 3-4 min audio clip every day and perform some exercises to reinforce the learnings
  • It's priced very reasonably at $49.95 per user and there are team/association discounts available
  • Any questions you can reach Derek at derek@lockedinmentaltraining.com
This might be the perfect gift of that coach in your life, that softball player, or any athlete. I hope you all will contact Derek with questions and really consider this for yourselves, your team, or your individual player. We always talk about the mental side being something we all need help with, here is your chance.

Bill

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
This is really timely and appreciate you sharing. Both DD and I are going through Mentally Tough Teens and Mind Gym. I will definitely check this out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 3, 2016
Hillhouse for the win. Mental side isn't worked on enough. If you're working on the physical side so hard why not get that mind right to maximize all that hard work!

Oct 4, 2018
Not currently an issue for us but I know a family/girl struggling.

Any examples of what it is? Like a sample?

Aug 21, 2008
uncdrew, contact Derek directly. We may be doing something together after the holidays but, getting in touch with him directly is your best bet. There's no cost or obligation with sending the guy an email with questions.

Jan 3, 2019
Florida
Anybody try this out yet? My DD is going through a tough time. She's completely forgotten how to pitch when a batter steps into the box but looks fine in pitching practice and during warmups.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
Please feel free to share this in other sections of DFP:

I've been writing this and re-writing this several times, trying to find the right words for this because it's an important topic and something like this is pretty unique. We all know mental health is in the news now more than ever and these issues effect coaches and players a great deal. I know I've recommended on this website, other websites, and in my lessons that teams/parents/pitchers should work with Sports Psychologists on the mental side of pitching, how to stay focused, how to manage anxiety, etc. This shouldn't need to be said but I'm going to say it anyway, I am not getting a commission or anything for this post. I just think it's a service many could benefit from. Derek is a great guy with a HUGE softball background.

Derek Mayson is the starting 3rd baseman and Captain for the Canadian National men's team (and is also a REALLY good pitcher!). Unbeknownst to me, Derek had to deal with his own issues of anxiety as a player and even took a season off to deal with things. Now Derek has opened a business that is specialized in players and teams, helping their mental health in athletes and coaches. I am pretty sure he has both individual and team programs.

• Locked In Mental Training Program: https://www.lockedinmentaltraining.com/
  • Developed by current Team Canada Men's National Team Captain, previous World Champion and Pan Am Games Gold Medalist whose become a leader in the mental skills training space having worked to overcome some challenges earlier in his career
  • 6-week online guided course that teaches athletes and coaches about the mind, how to perform in the present, how to work with challenging thinking, how to connect with inner belief and how to address common obstacles like slumps, fear of failure, etc.
  • Users access it through their phone or other device and listen to a 3-4 min audio clip every day and perform some exercises to reinforce the learnings
  • It's priced very reasonably at $49.95 per user and there are team/association discounts available
  • Any questions you can reach Derek at derek@lockedinmentaltraining.com
This might be the perfect gift of that coach in your life, that softball player, or any athlete. I hope you all will contact Derek with questions and really consider this for yourselves, your team, or your individual player. We always talk about the mental side being something we all need help with, here is your chance.

Bill
We have been exploring this program for a couple of months. Absolutely recommend it. It's all about focus and training the mind.

May 27, 2013
Our HS team has a mindfulness coach who has been working with them since the beginning of the season. They meet with him as a group twice per week. Our team is piloting the program. While it does take away from practice time it does seem like a great idea. My only suggestion for our team is to do it in the off-season and maybe just meet once per week in-season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom