Pitch Tunneling

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2019
More pics. Need to figure out a parts list and how to make it go a little higher.
I looked log and hard for a tunneling tool and when I could not find something out there I started working on my own ideas (the Engineer in my I guess). I am really looking forward to the groups input and comments

Jul 31, 2019
Yeah, I wonder if there's an iron one with a spike at the bottom. Then you can just shove it in the ground and hammer it deeper when needed.

Too pricey/fancy but the general idea:

View attachment 27318
The challenge with using anything that is ridged is that if the ball clips the inside edge (and it does more than one would think), it redirects. A catcher with gear is "safe" but a parent or non-geared up catcher is really at risk.

Jul 31, 2019
While 'pitch tunneling' is a thing I don't know about trying to train it, there's a lot of unanswered questions. How big should the tunnel/ring be, 1ft, 1.5ft, 2ft? And how far from the pitcher should it be? Does the pitcher aim for the tunnel or at the plate with the tunnel just being there for reference?
ArmWhip, here are my thoughts on the training: I believe the concept can be used at the earliest levels. For example, a young pitcher struggles with finding the strike zone. set up the device 5-10 feet from the pitcher's release point, and have them focus on throwing through it. If the ball goes through it it finds the strike zone. As they improve their mechanics and confidence, start moving the device towards the catcher. For high-level pitchers that are training how to tunnel, set up the device half way to the catcher. Use an opening that is roughly a ball in from the corner (roughly 10" wide). As the pitcher improves, there are two variables you can adjust to drive towards a ball thrown down the middle with a late break. They are reducing the 10" width and moving it closer to the catcher. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe most hitters make a swing decision when the ball is approximately 15' from the plate, so the goal would be to work the device to there or closer.

Jul 31, 2019
I'm not sure you are using the same definition of tunneling, at least as how I understand it. It's not to practice throwing meatballs down the middle of the plate. The idea is for the ball to be in a tunnel as it travels to the target, then break to whatever the ultimate target is. If done well, it would make pitch identification that much more difficult for the hitter. Some major leaguers use it to great effect.
But it certainly could throw the ball down the middle. Two different pitches fly down the same trajectory long enough to look nearly identical through the point when a hitter must decide whether or not, to swing. If pitches thrown back-to-back travel down this same “tunnel” long enough, a hitter won’t be able to tell them apart until it’s too late.

Jul 31, 2019
Here is something I am tinkering with. Call it a "V-net". This definitely deflects too much for someone not wearing gear. I'm trying different configurations

V-Net_12-28-22.JPG

Another thing I use is I take a pool noodle, cut it down to the height I want, and slide it on a plunger. You can use two of them as the "goal post" and adjust distance apart, distance from pitcher, and alignment with center of the plate (center, off-set right, etc). Ball deflect some but not too bad. I even use it for riseball. I locate it at a distance where the pitcher focuses on throwing the ball just over the top of the noodle.

Plunger Noodle.JPG

Jul 1, 2019
But it certainly could throw the ball down the middle. Two different pitches fly down the same trajectory long enough to look nearly identical through the point when a hitter must decide whether or not, to swing. If pitches thrown back-to-back travel down this same “tunnel” long enough, a hitter won’t be able to tell them apart until it’s too late.
This is exactly how we used this training tool. Learn to throw a variety of pitches thru the exact same point in space (for example) 1/2 way to the batter, and then for the pitches to end up in different locations. Example being a sequence of an inside fastball, then level 2 riseball, then change up, and then drop curve that all look the same for the first 20ft, only to end up in totally different quadrants of the strike zone (or out of it totally). DD doesn't aim specifically for the ring, nor does she necessarily "aim" for the glove. The goal was to make them look the same as long as possible and still hit the desired location with the pitch.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
So you have a bunch of tunnels, one for every two pitches with the same initial trajectory?

Jul 31, 2019
So you have a bunch of tunnels, one for every two pitches with the same initial trajectory?
One tunnel for pitchers that break down, in, out or low-level rise (i.e., drop, cutter low rise and drop curve). Move the tunnel closer to catcher as late break improves.

One tunnel for rise, scrise or rise that breaks out

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I'm sceptical about the concept for practice. Every pitch that uses deception would need a separate tunnel for it's 'partner' fastball. A high fastball-riseball combo needs a tunnel. A low outside fastball-curve ball combo needs it's own tunnel. A low fastball-change up needs one, backdoor curve would also, etc. If you're only going to have one or two of those pitches then maybe it would work. But it still means relocating the 'tunnel' every time you decide to work on a pitch, and what are you using for an actual tunnel?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I question the whole idea of tunneling for the pitcher. I would want a pitcher to focus on her target and if she trying to throw thru hoops she is not focused her end target. Seem almost backwards to me.
I have seen tunneling devices for pitch recognition. If I remember correctly it was a series of rings and pricey.