Pitch calling question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2018
but there are times I want a pitch to be very specifically thrown (as in "2 feet over her head because she's swinging at everything" type of thing) and I have no idea how to relay some of that information. Nothing like calling the pitch outside and wanting it outside and the pitcher throwing it on the corner where it gets crushed.
there are times my DD (12U) coach looks like he his directing airplanes.

May 17, 2012
Super interested in this thread though. We have some basic signs for our pitchers (pitch & location), but there are times I want a pitch to be very specifically thrown (as in "2 feet over her head because she's swinging at everything" type of thing) and I have no idea how to relay some of that information. Nothing like calling the pitch outside and wanting it outside and the pitcher throwing it on the corner where it gets crushed.

In addition to pitch locations we have an understanding of how many ball lengths we will be missing by.

If the count is 0-2 and I call for an outside fastball they had better miss by two ball lengths (we can't give up a hit with an 0-2 count). The batter can't hit a ball two ball lengths off the plate.

If it's 1-2 the pitcher will miss outside by one ball length. Now a batter might foul this off, they might actual hit the ball, but they sure as hell aren't pulling this pitch.

If it's 2-2 and we call outside fastball I need them to paint the black here. This pitch is probably a strike but could be a ball. It can definitely be hit. We are trying not to go 3-2 here.

So to conclude we may call an outside* fastball at various counts but there is an understanding based on the count of how close the "miss" pitch should be.

*We usually "miss" outside or "high". Occasionally "in" and "rarely" low. Always with the fastball. Missing outside is preferred as most hitters can't consistently go the other way. If you find one that likes to go opposite field make a note and miss somewhere else.

Now we don't follow this pattern every count to every batter. At any count we are mixing in the pitchers primary pitch and/or a changeup (on the "U").

The above formula has won a lot of games.

Jul 22, 2015
At the top 10 D1 schools, when calling a rise ball for example, is the coach calling height AND inside/outside? If the coach wants a rise at the knees, is that called along with inside/outside?
Typically (at least based on conversations I've had/heard) they let the pitch itself or the pitcher dictate the height. The main exception is for the rise ball with a pitcher who uses it quite a bit and can throw it on 2 or 3 levels. The other exception is when they want a pitch outside the strike zone, as you might with 2 strikes. Most use wrist bands and the number just dictates where to look on the wristband and is randomly assigned to each pitch. Sometimes they also use color in the square where that pitch is located to indicate it should be outside the zone or at a certain height.
We have some basic signs for our pitchers (pitch & location), but there are times I want a pitch to be very specifically thrown (as in "2 feet over her head because she's swinging at everything" type of thing) and I have no idea how to relay some of that information.
We use a physical sign before giving the number on the wrist band to let them know we want it outside the zone. For example, you might touch your ear, hat, make a fist, etc then give the number. If it's something subtle and natural it won't get picked up quickly since you're still giving the number as well.

Oct 14, 2020
The "agreement" is that if you're caught stealing location (or, as a batter, if you're peeking), someone's getting a projectile thrown 90+ mph at their body.

I don't particularly like that, but that's how it is.

Super interested in this thread though. We have some basic signs for our pitchers (pitch & location), but there are times I want a pitch to be very specifically thrown (as in "2 feet over her head because she's swinging at everything" type of thing) and I have no idea how to relay some of that information. Nothing like calling the pitch outside and wanting it outside and the pitcher throwing it on the corner where it gets crushed.
We have the catcher tap her helmet for those "way way way outside and high where no one can reach it" situations.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
In addition to pitch locations we have an understanding of how many ball lengths we will be missing by.

If the count is 0-2 and I call for an outside fastball they had better miss by two ball lengths (we can't give up a hit with an 0-2 count). The batter can't hit a ball two ball lengths off the plate.

If it's 1-2 the pitcher will miss outside by one ball length. Now a batter might foul this off, they might actual hit the ball, but they sure as hell aren't pulling this pitch.

If it's 2-2 and we call outside fastball I need them to paint the black here. This pitch is probably a strike but could be a ball. It can definitely be hit. We are trying not to go 3-2 here.

So to conclude we may call an outside* fastball at various counts but there is an understanding based on the count of how close the "miss" pitch should be.

*We usually "miss" outside or "high". Occasionally "in" and "rarely" low. Always with the fastball. Missing outside is preferred as most hitters can't consistently go the other way. If you find one that likes to go opposite field make a note and miss somewhere else.

Now we don't follow this pattern every count to every batter. At any count we are mixing in the pitchers primary pitch and/or a changeup (on the "U").

The above formula has won a lot of games.

I like the predetermined understanding.

Curious about why you don't like to miss low (Missing in could lead to HBPs, so I get not doing that much). I have learned that I don't necessarily want to go in the dirt on a two strike pitch (my catchers aren't great, and we've had a lot of great sequences/strike three pitches lead to runners on first), but I'm starting to try to sequence batters so we get the swing on a ball low a little earlier in the count. Same goes for the changeup. Inexperienced catchers can struggle with handling it, so I try to use it more as a pitch to get them chasing earlier in the count or as a show-me pitch.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad