Pitch calling question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2014
Question on pitch calling, at elite level D1/Pro.

Two example questions-

- At the top 10 D1 schools, when calling a rise ball for example, is the coach calling height AND inside/outside? If the coach wants a rise at the knees, is that called along with inside/outside?

- Same for something like a fastball, although I know a fastball itself is probably called much less. Regardless, how is this called. (Great example of this is actually MLB catchers calling a fastball inside/outside with a finger and a movement towards inside or outside. You dont see whether he wants that at the knees or at the letter. Do you think the pitcher is deciding based off the scouting reports?)

Dec 2, 2013
Texas

Two example questions-

- At the top 10 D1 schools, when calling a rise ball for example, is the coach calling height AND inside/outside? If the coach wants a rise at the knees, is that called along with inside/outside?

- Same for something like a fastball, although I know a fastball itself is probably called much less. Regardless, how is this called. (Great example of this is actually MLB catchers calling a fastball inside/outside with a finger and a movement towards inside or outside. You dont see whether he wants that at the knees or at the letter. Do you think the pitcher is deciding based off the scouting reports?)
Coaches should be calling inside/outside with every pitch. Will the pitcher hit those spots every time. NO. but you have to call where you want the pitch. Riseball example. Not all pitchers can "stair step" their rise balls.

DD caught an OSU pitcher a few weeks ago and she told DD that she only pitches Rise balls. Meaning all of pitches are pitched with Rise ball spin and she directs it to the spot she wants. She only worked with her for a few hours, but if she was a full time catcher for her I am sure they fine tune location and pitch calling.

The first time I saw a coach calling pitch and location was for a 10U All star team. I was blown away how good this pitcher was at that age. My girls could not touch her. After the 3rd game we started fouling off pitches and the parents started cheering. She played for a Big 12 team for 3 years but recently transferred out.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas

Two example questions-

Usually, the coach uses a 3 digit code for the pitch. So, it is theoretically possible to indicate type of pitch and location.

But...D1 pitchers rarely have a breaking pitch. Most D1 pitchers throw bullet spin pitches. So, when the coach calls for a screwball, the result is an inside bullet spin pitch. If the coach calls for a curve, the result is an outside bullet spin pitch. Rise ball is a high bullet spin pitch.

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Where's Bill H.? I'm curious to see what he has to say on this.

MLB is interesting, the catchers set up their glove/location early. I'm wondering if there is some kind of agreement that runners don't signal location to hitters. I know that signs are fair game.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Japans Catcher had good TIMING in her mechanics to set for pitch location.

I also prefer to set up in/off the plate for framing AND
For defensive reasons.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Where's Bill H.? I'm curious to see what he has to say on this.

MLB is interesting, the catchers set up their glove/location early. I'm wondering if there is some kind of agreement that runners don't signal location to hitters. I know that signs are fair game.

The "agreement" is that if you're caught stealing location (or, as a batter, if you're peeking), someone's getting a projectile thrown 90+ mph at their body.

I don't particularly like that, but that's how it is.

Super interested in this thread though. We have some basic signs for our pitchers (pitch & location), but there are times I want a pitch to be very specifically thrown (as in "2 feet over her head because she's swinging at everything" type of thing) and I have no idea how to relay some of that information. Nothing like calling the pitch outside and wanting it outside and the pitcher throwing it on the corner where it gets crushed.

Jan 6, 2018
The "agreement" is that if you're caught stealing location (or, as a batter, if you're peeking), someone's getting a projectile thrown 90+ mph at their body.

I don't particularly like that, but that's how it is.

Super interested in this thread though. We have some basic signs for our pitchers (pitch & location), but there are times I want a pitch to be very specifically thrown (as in "2 feet over her head because she's swinging at everything" type of thing) and I have no idea how to relay some of that information. Nothing like calling the pitch outside and wanting it outside and the pitcher throwing it on the corner where it gets crushed.
Example : throw down a 3rd #. Like if 1,1 is fb away corner, 1,1,2 is fb away away.
1,1, 4 would then be fb away away away away! Each “away” could vary based on your pitcher’s control…could be inches or balls.

Jul 31, 2015
Usually, the coach uses a 3 digit code for the pitch. So, it is theoretically possible to indicate type of pitch and location.

But...D1 pitchers rarely have a breaking pitch. Most D1 pitchers throw bullet spin pitches. So, when the coach calls for a screwball, the result is an inside bullet spin pitch. If the coach calls for a curve, the result is an outside bullet spin pitch. Rise ball is a high bullet spin pitch.

?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad