Picking the Right Team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2012
My DD ended up on a good team this year but with an idiot for a coach. Really would like to avoid doing this again. Any advice? What to look for? Questions to ask a coach when considering a team? How did some of you find a good fit?

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Best if you can see how the run a practice and how they behave in games. They all have their flaws, the good ones know it and can get/accept help.
Based on our recent string, I'd value maturity over anything else, though I would have taken it for granted a few years ago.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
Maturity in coaches? Here the TB coaches are all over the age of 45....I would like less maturiy and more proximity to actually playing.

Your first post in this thread was your best one yet.

The one above is way off.

Using past playing experience is a horrible factor to use (for head coach). In fact, I'd be inclined to shy away from ex. female players. There are some good ones but generally speaking they burn out before they have any clue as to what they're doing as a coach. Then they have other priorities in this time of their life than coaching.

I think a more applicable term than maturity is....experience. It's not common to find an experienced coach that isn't at least....better than average. If you can find an experienced (at least 5+ years although that is low) past player, go for it, but there aren't that many.

Edited to add: I haven't seen it mentioned but something I think helps is if the the coach has children (been a parent). Not necessarily on the team but they have kids. I know how you view the world changes once you have children. They're able to better relate to what the parent is feeling and manage the team as such. Of course, this is a generalization....but.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Maturity in coaches? Here the TB coaches are all over the age of 45....I would like less maturiy and more proximity to actually playing.

I that were a desirable trait then those are the folks who would be getting hired today, but that is hardly the case. After the advent of Title IX the model of the female ex-player went into immediate decline. Like it or not the top coaches in the game are middle aged men.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon

There is an 18 team in my area that the coaches are about 25, now the talent on the team is great, but more than 1 time the coaches have been partying it up in the hotels... and I mean getting stumbling drunk where the players have to take them back to their room.

No thanks I'll stay away from that

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
I think a more applicable term than maturity is....experience. It's not common to find an experienced coach that isn't at least....better than average.

Agree with most of what you say, and experience teaches the teachable, but to me these are separate traits. I've seen seasoned 5-15y veteran coaches who have the maturity of an 8yo.
Just wanted to clarify my own position, not to harp on it.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
You have to know your daughter. For mine, the personality of the coaches is critical. We watched her new team play, went to a practice, played as a guest player in a tournament. You need to know what you want. Then go for a test-drive if possible.

Apr 11, 2012
This is what we/she did. Season started good but by the 4th tournament a different coach appeared that was obsessed with winning. My DD played so playing time not an issue. This is the coach where nothing good enough unless they won the game. Even a close game against a top level team. I feel like it's just luck of the draw but was sure hoping someone knew something I didn't.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877