PC had a talk with DD about wearing a mask in the circle....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My DD plays 10U. I know 10U doesn't sound like much. But so far this season I've seen one of our pitchers take it off the mask/head and it sounded brutal. She had a mild concussion but was back the next week. My DD took one off the hand while guarding her face (with mask) and the ball continued to fly out to center field. She also took a line drive right to the nether regions, and now wears a female cup. I've also seen our pitching coach throw practice and take line drives to the thigh twice. If a grown man can't get out of the way what chance does my 10 year old daughter have? She'll be wearing a mask (and cup) and possibly leg padding. Sometimes I feel like our pitchers are bumpers in a pinball game the bats are so hot nowadays.
(I think all bats should be restricted and only made from wood) My DD throws hard, but some of the better players can hit it back harder.

If it is that bad maybe she needs to find a different sport? If a team has players regularly getting hit in the mask more needs to be done than just wearing a mask. I take no issue with a player wanting to wear a mask. However, a player that needs to wear a mask is another matter. Using the ever popular seat belt analogy you should always wear one, but if you often need one to protect you from harm...

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
If it is that bad maybe she needs to find a different sport? If a team has players regularly getting hit in the mask more needs to be done than just wearing a mask. I take no issue with a player wanting to wear a mask. However, a player that needs to wear a mask is another matter. Using the ever popular seat belt analogy you should always wear one, but if you often need one to protect you from harm...

While I respect your opinion that masks should not be mandatory, I think your post is blaming the fielder for getting hit is misguided a a frequent fallacy for the no mask crowd. No matter how good of a fielder you are, sometimes you will get hit. Case in point, Tori Finucne (Missouri) last WCWS was hit directly in the head and didn't have a chance to catch the line drive to her face. By all measures she is a very good fielder but a perfectly hit line drive can happen. At the local level, last year my 12u DD was pitching against a 14u team and took a line drive to her stomach that knocked the wind out of her and left the ball seam marks on her belly. Scary stuff. Lastly, you can be a world class fielder but all it takes is one bad hop and a marginal infield and you can easily get hurt. Let's no be so quick to blame the fielder got their injuries.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
While I respect your opinion that masks should not be mandatory, I think your post is blaming the fielder for getting hit is misguided a a frequent fallacy for the no mask crowd. No matter how good of a fielder you are, sometimes you will get hit. Case in point, Tori Finucne (Missouri) last WCWS was hit directly in the head and didn't have a chance to catch the line drive to her face. By all measures she is a very good fielder but a perfectly hit line drive can happen. At the local level, last year my 12u DD was pitching against a 14u team and took a line drive to her stomach that knocked the wind out of her and left the ball seam marks on her belly. Scary stuff. Lastly, you can be a world class fielder but all it takes is one bad hop and a marginal infield and you can easily get hurt. Let's no be so quick to blame the fielder got their injuries.

I was not taking about once or even twice in a season occurrence. However, I think you will agree that mask or no mask if a player is regularly stopping the ball with their face, something is certainly amiss. If a player wears a mask it really does not matter why, what matters is how often they need it. From the sound of many of these anecdotal stories for some players is not a rare occurrence. If that is the case, fielding skills are certainly suspect. In the referenced scenario it sounds as though the throwing hand was on the mask at impact. If that was the case it is hard to argue that more training/instruction is not warranted. Going back to the seat belt analogy who would you rather ride with, the driver that has never required a seat belt or the one who has many stories regarding their value?

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2014
this weekend our 14u team played in a very competitive tourney. these teams are great. Team PA Cyclones were one of the teams. They have a crazy good 3rd base player that took a shot to the forehead from one of our girls that could have been heard 2 counties away. after ticking her glove, it hit her about 3 inches above her right eye. she is as good as they come at third, no mask. she fell like a ton of bricks. thank God she was ok. she actually played Sunday. not trying to start an argument but anyone who believes that great athletic ability should be enough to protect you at 57' with pitcher throwing upper 50s to 60 and a batter who turns on one with a composite bat simply does not understand the physics of the game. I have not calculated nor could I, the reaction time needed to defend this type of shot but I would venture that very few if anyone at any level have that type of reaction speed. everyone has car, home and health ins though we may not get into an accident, have a fire or get sick for years, is it wrong to have these measures in place just in case... to say it only happens occasionally is conceding the point that they are needed. they happen. we have gone weeks without anyone getting hit in the helmet while batting, why the need for helmets? to your point about a young lady often defending with her face is another point all together, of course that girl should not be playing infield but it does not diminish the need for protection we as the adults should be providing to the children. I think it is lost that 10 to 18 yos are still kids and often don't make prudent decisions left on their own. needless to say but I for one would make masks mandatory and eliminate the stigma that some times goes along with wearing one. full disclosure, I am the northeast u.s. regional manger for rip-it masks. just kidding just another bucket dad with a few minutes to type...

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
... not trying to start an argument but anyone who believes that great athletic ability should be enough to protect you at 57' with pitcher throwing upper 50s to 60 and a batter who turns on one with a composite bat simply does not understand the physics of the game.

I cannot recall anyone making that statement. Certainly was not me. Could the incidences of injury be significantly reduced through proper training and enhanced skills? Absolutely. Eliminated? Not a chance. However, when discussing the use of face masks I think it is important to differentiate between unable to react, versus failing to react. Many if not most injuries are due to the latter, not the former and can reduced by better training and enhanced skills. But to your point it does not negate their value when all else fails. Just as the use of a face mask does not preclude learning proper fielding and defensive techniques.

FWIW - I realized this weekend that >50% of my pitching students (15 yo and up) now wear masks. They and their parents know that I take no issue with their decision. None the less we work relentlessly on pitch command and mechanics (glove position) to allow them the best opportunity to defend themselves.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2014
riseball it is entirely possible that I misunderstood your point. no one did make the statement however as it often happens when corresponding through this medium, the between the lines content is inferred improperly. let me restate my point directed to no one on this thread or site but lets say to the ether.. there are coaches that believe that wearing a face mask is a sign of fear or a sign of lesser ability, I do not agree with their beliefs, I think it is a sign of understanding how fast this game can be at times and intelligence.

Sep 18, 2011
We now have empirical evidence, conclusive proof that wearing a mask actually makes one a better fielder than going without. At a tourney this weekend, my DD played both first and third. She wore a mask at third, but did not while playing first. She made one error while playing first (no mask), and no errors while playing third (mask). Ladies and gentlemen, the data is in. The case is closed. Next subject. :)

Jun 7, 2013
I cannot recall anyone making that statement. Certainly was not me. Could the incidences of injury be significantly reduced through proper training and enhanced skills? Absolutely. Eliminated? Not a chance. However, when discussing the use of face masks I think it is important to differentiate between unable to react, versus failing to react. Many if not most injuries are due to the latter, not the former and can reduced by better training and enhanced skills. But to your point it does not negate their value when all else fails. Just as the use of a face mask does not preclude learning proper fielding and defensive techniques.

FWIW - I realized this weekend that >50% of my pitching students (15 yo and up) now wear masks. They and their parents know that I take no issue with their decision. None the less we work relentlessly on pitch command and mechanics (glove position) to allow them the best opportunity to defend themselves.

Pulling the above astute statement into the oft used context of driving, seat belts don't replace good defensive driving practices. They are the last ditch attempt at the preservation of life and limb.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
We now have empirical evidence, conclusive proof that wearing a mask actually makes one a better fielder than going without. At a tourney this weekend, my DD played both first and third. She wore a mask at third, but did not while playing first. She made one error while playing first (no mask), and no errors while playing third (mask). Ladies and gentlemen, the data is in. The case is closed. Next subject. :)

However, you failed to mention the effects of wearing the mask with regard to global cooling....er I mean warming....which one are we going with this decade? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207