DD Needs More Power - Is a Backswing needed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2012
Yes.... looks better.... The other thing I notice from these clips is that she really rotates that throwing shoulder prematurely. Try to get her to keep that throwing shoulder back....that will also help her with posture and improve her whip.

May 16, 2016
NY
Yes.... looks better.... The other thing I notice from these clips is that she really rotates that throwing shoulder prematurely. Try to get her to keep that throwing shoulder back....that will also help her with posture and improve her whip.

You folks are very encouraging! That makes sense regarding the shoulder. So technically when coming into the whip that shoulder will stay back to better allow the whip to come through and also will be lower than the front shoulder if she is leaning back properly. Is that correct?

Apr 12, 2015
You folks are very encouraging! That makes sense regarding the shoulder. So technically when coming into the whip that shoulder will stay back to better allow the whip to come through and also will be lower than the front shoulder if she is leaning back properly. Is that correct?

Yes and no. In the drive out, it just isn't the shoulders that have a lean. It is the whole upper body. The spine should have a slightly backward tilt, about 7 to 10 degrees from center. At landing, as the kinetic chain works upward into the throwing arm, some pitchers shoulders will square, some will keep a slight sag in the throwing shoulder. I think the variances between pitchers is simply how they firm up their shoulder to give the whip a firm anchor to work through. In other words, I don't think that is a teaching point.

The easiest way to establish a good, natural lean on drive out is to focus on her glove hand. If you notice, your DD keeps her glove hand very low. Have her push that up to about 2:00 or 1:30 and that will naturally force her into a proper lean.

The front side resistance thread has some good information on hitting the anchor points for the whip action. Front Side Resistance

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
NY
If you notice, your DD keeps her glove hand very low. Have her push that up to about 2:00 or 1:30 and that will naturally force her into a proper lean.

The front side resistance thread has some good information on hitting the anchor points for the whip action. Front Side Resistance

Wow, yes, another thing that I really didn't notice. But I can certainly see how that could have an impact. Thanks

Jul 17, 2012
Agree with DNeeld... you don't want to teach her to "Dip" the back shoulder.... just resist rotation. It may look mechanical and rigid at first....and that's ok. These 2 concepts, good posture and limiting torso rotation will set your DD up to start to get that brush assisted whip, or brush interference you've likely read about on here as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles