PC had a talk with DD about wearing a mask in the circle....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 15, 2015
My oldest is a freshman in college. Plays 2b and wears a mask. We watched her team play last year and the 2nd basemen broke her nose covering 1st. We did ask her coach and she said she doesn't care if they wear a mask.

My 10s all wear mask. Not even an option to play without. Earlier this fall one of my girls drilled a pitcher right in the head. Ball was hit hard enough that it bounced into right field. She was wearing a mask. Scared her but it could of been much worse.

Its foolish to not wear a mask. I have been drilled pitching bp. It wasn't in the face but it was enough that I now pitch behind a net. It doesn't feel good and any coach that wants these girls out there without a mask is a fool.

Sep 29, 2014
^^^ same here I was pitching batting practice 12U without a net and our clean up hitter drilled one right at my head I did catch it while falling backwards...but I cannot tell you how hard my heart was beating I was literally shaking it was one of those life flashing in front of your eyes type things, for some strange reason I was just not expecting it even though I knew full well she was capable of it, last time without a net for me.

Plus I have always said if you can hit it won't matter. If you crush the ball on a consistent basis (hitting .500 or better with double digit HRs every season) the coaches is not going to care about you wearing a mask at 3B they will recruit you.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
This is my DH's friend from high school. Pretty graphic, but worth a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW9rqT5st1M

I saw this live on TV and was shaken; my parents and brother saw it happen live at Fenway and said you could hear a pin drop and that sound of the impact and subsequent image stayed with them for days after.

My DD is a DIII C now but used to play corners as a secondary position, where she always wore a fielder's mask due to poor field conditions at my suggestion (I was never forced to require her to wear it as it made sense to her and she said it was like a vacation from her catcher's helmet). Glad she was never interested in playing D1 and felt like she had to make a decision. There's just no upside worth it to corners and pitchers not wearing masks in fastpitch IMO. Even given the above clip and numerous subsequent incidents, I have mixed emotions about masks in baseball. I am thankful that my son didn't play BB after LL so that I didn't have to explain why his sister had to wear a mask, but he didn't.

Feb 7, 2013
If I read the articles on head protection in MLB this year correctly, there are 4 pitchers that are wearing a cap or an experimental padding in their caps to attempt to lessen the blow of taking a line drive to the skull. Those pitchers throw for the New York Mets, Astros, White Sox and Yankees.

I find it very interesting that baseball refuses to accept their players wearing face masks but will experiment with padded caps that do not protect the face at all. IMO, this is putting a band aid on the problem and gives kids a false sense of security when pitching, especially to batters using hot composite bats.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I find it very interesting that baseball refuses to accept their players wearing face masks but will experiment with padded caps that do not protect the face at all. IMO, this is putting a band aid on the problem and gives kids a false sense of security when pitching, especially to batters using hot composite bats.

I think their studies have shown that due to the bent over posture upon release MLB pitchers are hit on the head and those hits cause serious injury, that's why the new cap.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
My DD plays 10U. I know 10U doesn't sound like much. But so far this season I've seen one of our pitchers take it off the mask/head and it sounded brutal. She had a mild concussion but was back the next week. My DD took one off the hand while guarding her face (with mask) and the ball continued to fly out to center field. She also took a line drive right to the nether regions, and now wears a female cup. I've also seen our pitching coach throw practice and take line drives to the thigh twice. If a grown man can't get out of the way what chance does my 10 year old daughter have? She'll be wearing a mask (and cup) and possibly leg padding. Sometimes I feel like our pitchers are bumpers in a pinball game the bats are so hot nowadays.
(I think all bats should be restricted and only made from wood) My DD throws hard, but some of the better players can hit it back harder.

Feb 7, 2013
I think their studies have shown that due to the bent over posture upon release MLB pitchers are hit on the head and those hits cause serious injury, that's why the new cap.

That's the weak argument I have heard but go google "baseball pitching" and look at the position of the pitcher head after they complete their pitch and almost all of them have their head up looking at the batter and this is when the ball still hasn't reached the batter. I think the real reason you don't see masks in baseball is the stigma attached to it and the old school parents who didn't wear one back in the day (tradition is a hard thing to overcome).

Nov 18, 2013
That's the weak argument I have heard but go google "baseball pitching" and look at the position of the pitcher head after they complete their pitch and almost all of them have their head up looking at the batter and this is when the ball still hasn't reached the batter. I think the real reason you don't see masks in baseball is the stigma attached to it and the old school parents who didn't wear one back in the day (tradition is a hard thing to overcome).

I'm not sure about being more likely to be hit in the head, but they're in a more vulnerable position than a softball pitcher.

I think the stigma is more how we view girls and nobody wants their princesses to experience pain or sully their beautiful faces. We expect boys to tough it up and if they get a scar from a shot to the face it’s viewed as a badge of honor. I’d like to see ALL kids wearing masks at 12U and below because they haven’t developed the skills to protect themselves. At 14U and above it’s more of a judgment call in my opinion. Some players have the skill to protect themselves and are more comfortable without a mask. Others have the same skills and are more comfortable wearing it. I don’t think either is wrong. Whatever makes the kid most confident will help them play better and prevent injury. There will always be the potential that a player can be hurt with or without the mask. I believe it’s a personal choice and players/parents shouldn’t be looked down on or berated either way

Jul 25, 2015
Peter Alonso happy with UF choice | Gainesville.com

First baseman for Florida Gators baseball wore a mask this season, of course it was after he broke his nose in batting practice....

The best 3B player in our area this past summer took a shot to the face and she was very lucky... shattered orbital socket, broken cheek/ upper plate, lost six teeth and ended up with diminished vision in her right eye... 14U player at the time and her infield career and possibly her softball career are pretty much over for good... she still tries to play but I am afraid the diminished vision in her right eye is going to limit her significantly... of course, she is lucky that is all it was... This was her first year without a mask and she gave up wearing one because her PC told her a college coach would not recruit her if she wore one....

Sorry, but the game has changed... girls are stronger, they develop earlier, and the bats are so hot now you really are putting your life and career in serious jeopardy by not wearing one, especially when pitching or playing the corners...

JohnnyO

Began this habit in 1980
May 13, 2015
Midwest
Our HS 3B took a one hop shot to her mask last spring. Hit her so hard she was dazed and didn't know what happened for a few minutes. That mask may just have saved more than a jaw bone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207