Breaking Up (with a PC) is Hard To Do

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
Thanks to everyone for your advice. I just had the conversation with the PC we are leaving and it went very well. I was completely honest with her that we are exploring a pitching style that is different then the style she is teaching and that the decision was especially difficult because both DD and I really like her as a person. She REALLY appreciated the honesty and said that by being truthful, she really felt that I was respectful to her. She wished us well in our new direction and said if we ever needed her in the future, she would be there for us. I have to say that the conversation went well because of being truthful and not trying to make up reasons that would have been clearly false. She knew I was looking to go in another direction with DD and was not surprised by the news.

Thanks again! Happy thanksgiving all :)

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Thanks to everyone for your advice. I just had the conversation with the PC we are leaving and it went very well. I was completely honest with her that we are exploring a pitching style that is different then the style she is teaching and that the decision was especially difficult because both DD and I really like her as a person. She REALLY appreciated the honesty and said that by being truthful, she really felt that I was respectful to her. She wished us well in our new direction and said if we ever needed her in the future, she would be there for us. I have to say that the conversation went well because of being truthful and not trying to make up reasons that would have been clearly false. She knew I was looking to go in another direction with DD and was not surprised by the news.

Anytime. Hopefully I didnt make you feel to bad! Lmao

Feb 7, 2013
Maybe I am a PC junkie but 12u DD has had 4 pitching coaches in 6 years. Below is how we broke it off:

PC#1 - hello elbow instructor but was great with the kids. DD pitched fine for a few years and I asked a ton of questions about more than mechanics. Such as how to setup a pitching area at my house, pitch strategy, pregame warm ups, what pitches to introduce, when etc. fortunately found this site and read every single pitching thread. Realized that she wasn't teaching high level mechanics and told her that if I couldn't believe 100% on what she was teaching then we needed to part ways. She gave me some names of PCs and that was that.

PC #2 - taught more internal rotation type mechanics and was big on front side resistance and speed drills. DD saw him for less than 1 year but I couldn't trust him after having told him that I didn't want him introducing new pitches until DD had perfected the fastball and changeup. One time I went to my car to get something and he was showing my DD a curveball grip this was right after having a talk with him about no new pitches! The was the last time we saw him. No discussion needed.

PC #3 - younger instructor right out of college. Would practice at a park for 1 hour at a time. She knew nothing of IR and I told her to focus on everything except arm whip mechanics. She was ok with this. Practicing on a softball diamond allowed for long distance drills and fielding your position drills which was very helpful. She also was also diligent about mechanic corrections on almost every pitch which worked well for DD. DD kinda plateaued with this PC and I went looking for pitchers that were successful and who their PC was. Told her PC that we were going in a different direction but enjoyed working with her.

PC #4 - current PC in general understands arm whip mechanics. Her emphasis is on aggressive and explosive pitching. Is very good with identifying DD strengths and weaknesses and pushing her to maximize her potential. Still drives me crazy when she sees riseball and curveball break of 1 foot or more but I need to pick my battles! The bottomline is my DDs movement pitches have gotten much better with this PC so we will stick with her for now.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket

Very nice ending.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414