How do you know a good PC

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
Ok so since my dd has moved to TB I've heard about and been introduced to lots of PC's! you know everyone has there own that they swear is the best in the area.

What are some good questions to ask when I'm trying to figure out if a PC is the real deal or not?
I met one this weekend and I asked him if he could tell me a little bit about what they are teaching their kids, he couldn't, he then brought his dd over to try to help him out and she said she pitches in college, but still said nothing about what they teach or about there goals or philosophy nothing.
I wasn't trying to call this guy out I was asking genuinely to find out if he would be a good fit for my kid, cuz it looks like the team is thinking of hiring him.
I would really love to know what some better (specific) questions would be? I know when someone asks you a broad question like "what do you teach" that it is sometimes hard to come up with a good answer other then "I teach pitching, duh"

P.s
Who are some good PC's in the Central Florida area?

(My dd's PC is not interested in working with the team, she's too busy.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I want to see the results. The best way to see if it is a pitching coach you want is to watch their students. Not perfect but better than a question and answer session IMO.

WindmillPitcher

Fastpitch Love
May 13, 2015
windmillpitchers.com/directory
Agreed that results are paramount, but you might ask some specific questions...1)what's your coaching philosophy. 2) how would you increase leg drive. 3)how do you motivate your pitchers. 4) how many different pitches are necessary for a pitcher to have? So these are generic questions, you should insert what pertains to your daughter as far as the type of pitcher she is...philosophy and motivation questions are important as they tell you what kind of coach they are, i.e. if they adapt to individuals...

Windmillpitchers.com is a site for pitching coaches to advertise and pitchers to find their perfect coach.

May 8, 2015
Mothgirl, I think your open ended question was a great start. In my experience people who cannot answer this question are the ones who just sit on a bucket, watch the pitcher, and then make a tweak here and a tweak there. I've seen people waste a lot of money for someone to watch their kid pitch or to throw batting practice to their kid for 30 mins. I will also say the whole "I'd played in college" line has little weight with me when it come to one's ability to teach pitching. I coached rec league baseball against a guy who pitched at Mississippi State for 4 years, and went the the CWS. In high school I spent 5 days at the Miss. State baseball camp, and I used everything I learned at that camp 20 years ago to coach circles around that guy.

If you're looking for a PC for the team, I'd be interested in how many pitchers he/she likes to have on the pitching staff and how does he/she like to use the staff during the season.
Maybe questions about conditioning and injury prevention.

Good Luck.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
Thank you WP for the good question ideas. I went to your site to check out some pitchers. I like the site, just didn't see any listed in Central Florida.
Knightsb
I wish I had Java or BM here or on speed dial! I'm seriously considering some trips to the northeast! (I think that where they're located)

AUtiger98
Yesss! Just cuz you pitch doesn't mean you can teach, although if you don't pitch or never pitched, I think it sure makes it hard to teach it. I know when we first went to our PC the first thing she did was explain what she taught and why and she let us know that she wants us to question her, she told us any good PC should be able to explain what they teach and why they teach it.

Jun 19, 2013
What about something along the lines of "what do you feel are the non-negotiables that you teach your pitchers/want them to incorporate into their motion?" or "can you show me what basic form you are looking to teach your students?" Once you get them talking and showing you a few pieces you will probably learn quite a bit about what they believe is important and what they teach. Then you'll probably have to watch them to figure out if their style of teaching is going be a good fit.

I've had coaches tell me "I don't think there is only one right way to pitch . . ." then day one they say BUT you HAVE to turn your foot out when you drive, and you have to keep the hand on top of the ball at the back of the circle and you absolutely must end with your hand touching your shoulder . . . at that point you know it's time to run.

Dec 16, 2010
I'm seriously considering some trips to the northeast!

I'd love to get dd lessons from bm or js too! But like you, distance is an issue.

Occasionally, Denny Tincher appears within 3 hours of us so I see him a few times a year. I can tell you he teaches drive mechanics similar to javasource (IMO, javasource explains it better) and also teaches I/R (he doesn't use the term and boardmember explains it MUCH better, IMO).

Now, you aren't near Denny, but he trains instructors and one of them might be not too far from you ( Steve Frew – Pro Staff Instructor ). This isn't a recommendation--I don't know the guy. But I'd be shocked if he tried to "correct" your dds I/R.

Good luck!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Ok so since my dd has moved to TB I've heard about and been introduced to lots of PC's! you know everyone has there own that they swear is the best in the area.

What are some good questions to ask when I'm trying to figure out if a PC is the real deal or not?
I met one this weekend and I asked him if he could tell me a little bit about what they are teaching their kids, he couldn't, he then brought his dd over to try to help him out and she said she pitches in college, but still said nothing about what they teach or about there goals or philosophy nothing.
I wasn't trying to call this guy out I was asking genuinely to find out if he would be a good fit for my kid, cuz it looks like the team is thinking of hiring him.
I would really love to know what some better (specific) questions would be? I know when someone asks you a broad question like "what do you teach" that it is sometimes hard to come up with a good answer other then "I teach pitching, duh"

P.s
Who are some good PC's in the Central Florida area?

(My dd's PC is not interested in working with the team, she's too busy.)

Talk is cheap. Look at their students. By look I mean see them throw. Results, especially at the younger levels can be attained with sub par instruction. As PC's we put or name on every kid we work with, a point that I make clear to my students and their parents.

As to questions, ask them what you should expect in terms of progression of your DD's skills. If they are legit they will not make unrealistic claims regarding speed, number of pitches, etc.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would ask what days/times are you available.....the best pitching coaches in our area are booked solid and NEVER advertise. I would much rather hear "I can squeeze you in two Sundays from now at 8:30pm" vs. "I am available whenever you are".....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles