Breaking Up (with a PC) is Hard To Do

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
The fact your paid up through two more lessons is a shame. Take a financial loss and move forward. Practice makes permanent, so any additional lessons that aren't moving towards your goals is counterproductive. I've had many students over the years come and go... it's not nearly as big a deal as you're thinking!

I agree with CJ -- Having paid up through two more lessons is a SUNK cost. Sunk costs have nothing to do with what is best to do from this point forward.

Oct 22, 2009
As a PC myself, I have had MANY pitchers move on to another instructor, and they've done it many many different ways.

From;
She doesn't want to pitch anymore--which is sometimes a lie, because I see them pitching.
She needs a break
I found a more "qualified" instructor
I found an instructor closer to me
I found a left handed instructor
I found an instructor that will teach my 9yr old all the pitches
I found an instructor that is more interested in teaching my DD pitches than "mechanics"
I found a male instructor
To-just stop showing up and answering my e-mails.

What I appreciate is honesty.

And one of the places I instruct also hosts several other instructors so there are some awkward times where one of my ex-students is with one of them and one of theirs is with me. It gets awkward for everyone.

So be honest, tell her you want your DD to see a PC that teaches a more "modern" method than a "traditional" method.

And don't do the other lessons.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I do not understand some of the advice in this thread. It will come back to haunt you and your DD if you either lie or are passive aggressive about it.

If there is going to be an Issue start it now and know what you are getting into.

you want your DD to see a PC that teaches a more "modern" method than a "traditional" method.

Great, that will work out well for her. Let them know that they do not have a clue what they are doing when you leave.

Jul 1, 2010
I don't see the need for an explanation. I wouldn't lie, but I see no need for a long and difficult goodbye that serves no purpose. I would say "thank you for what you've done for xxxxxxx, but we've decided to try something different."

I would not go to the last two lessons. You are going to another coach because you want change, so start the change now.

May 7, 2014
I don't see the need for an explanation. I wouldn't lie, but I see no need for a long and difficult goodbye that serves no purpose. I would say "thank you for what you've done for xxxxxxx, but we've decided to try something different."

I have been through a few pc's in my dd's development and I have to say the only one who I haven't felt awkward with after seeing them is the one we were completely honest with. The others, not so much.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
IMO, simply say, "We've decided to go a different direction. Thanks for all you've helped us with." Move on without guilt.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2012
Sacramento, CA
My DD old pitching instructor is in the cage to the right of her new instructor, and her old hitting coach is in the cage to on the left side. We see them both every week. We went the honest truth route. DD had become very comfortable with her first PC and she stopped pushing as hard. She was afraid of the new PC at first, but it got her focus and drive back.

Kids need different coaches. After a couple of years the kids know everything a coach can teach them. They need to move on and gain the knowledge of multiple coaches throughout their careers. My DD knew everything I could teach her by 12u. I needed to hand her off to someone else to continue her education.

Mar 20, 2012
Sacramento, CA
This may be true with coaches who are no longer curious students.
It is not necessarily true with coaches who remain extremely curious and who are constantly evolving.

Wait a minute........U calling me lazy and uninterested? :)

The coach you speak of is a mythical creature only found in limited locations around the country. The good thing is that as soon as your DD is as smart as her current coach, there is always another one near by that can bring something new to the table. Burn um and Churn um.

You know I jest...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00