Pauley vs Tincher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 12, 2018
My DD has pitched for 3 years and her first instructor was Tincher. We were with her for 1.5 years before we parted ways. I've also purchased some of Mr Pauly's videos and read all of the sticky threads on pitching on this site. I recall that most of the instruction was pretty similar except Mr Pauly teaches that the ball should be released between the legs at around 6 O'Clock and the Tincher instructor advocated for release more out in front. Also, the Tincher instructor did not teach brush trigger. In fact, she strongly discouraged it. Finally, the Tincher taught a 2-seam FB while Mr Pauly prefers the 4-seam. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018
My DD has pitched for 3 years and her first instructor was Tincher. We were with her for 1.5 years before we parted ways. I've also purchased some of Mr Pauly's videos and read all of the sticky threads on pitching on this site. I recall that most of the instruction was pretty similar except Mr Pauly teaches that the ball should be released between the legs at around 6 O'Clock and the Tincher instructor advocated for release more out in front. Also, the Tincher instructor did not teach brush trigger. In fact, she strongly discouraged it. Finally, the Tincher taught a 2-seam FB while Mr Pauly prefers the 4-seam. Hope this helps!

The reason for the disparity is because Pauley uses brush trigger and the don’t really which allows the elbow to translate more forward before the pitch is released. If done properly the ball will come off the fingers right in front of the rear leg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 19, 2016
Tincher always seems to be some voodoo practiced by slower spin based pitchers. That maybe just this few girls I know around here that practice it.

Granted I only know two. They both drive from Dallas Fort Worth to Austin for lessons because to my knowledge no one on DFW teaches it. I know DD had the missfortune of having the older of the two calling her pitches in one game when she picked up. She called 11 change ups in a row.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
We just had our first lesson with our second Tincher instructor. It was a 90 minute lesson for us to meet and chat and assess and such. Let's just summarize by saying "all teaching professionals are individual humans with their own opinions." :)

It was a great lesson. Let's just say we're going to try a few new things.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
We just had our first lesson with our second Tincher instructor. It was a 90 minute lesson for us to meet and chat and assess and such. Let's just summarize by saying "all teaching professionals are individual humans with their own opinions." :)

It was a great lesson. Let's just say we're going to try a few new things.

While DD has not met a Tincher instructor our best decision was to see another pitching coach.

Initially it was purely driven from a point of availability of her first/primary PC. So we sought another and she’s been great. Both teach the same basic “idea” but in different ways. DD has benefited from seeing both.

We will still see her initial PC when available while we continue to see the “current” coach on a more consistent basis.

Oct 4, 2018
While DD has not met a Tincher instructor our best decision was to see another pitching coach.

Initially it was purely driven from a point of availability of her first/primary PC. So we sought another and she’s been great. Both teach the same basic “idea” but in different ways. DD has benefited from seeing both.

We will still see her initial PC when available while we continue to see the “current” coach on a more consistent basis.

Yup. It was for the best. We'd been struggling with the dropball for months. Just needed to hear another instructor's advice. And it seemed to make immediate improvement.

Bill might chuckle that it was very much like what he says: "Just whip/snap a bit earlier in your release". No talk of roll over or anything.

Aug 21, 2008
Seriously, 13 pages of Tincher vs. Pauly?

I think we should just set up a no holds barred MMA match between them. That will decide who's the best pitching coach!!

Jul 27, 2015
Finally, the Tincher taught a 2-seam FB while Mr Pauly prefers the 4-seam. Hope this helps!

Our Tincher instructors have suggested 2 seam fastballs, but my daughter refuses to do that on a regular basis. She has great control with her 4 seam. No control with the 2 seam. Our instructors over the years have not cared one way or another other than to suggest it occasionally.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles