Palm up Palm Down Through Extension

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I am not a fan of the disk but Cindy Bristow likes them so I am probably wrong
I would say you are correct, Sir:
xaq9g3.jpg

NEF

May 16, 2012
New England
FFS by the arrows are you for hitting down on the ball, backspin? I've heard everything from down on the ball, to fat part of the ball, to top of ball.

BTW just a Dad, with 2 DD's coaching a couple of teams, I've gone to numerous clinics (college/ high school and TB programs) and have seriously seen all of the above, and thanks to all here try to apply the Hanson principle and question everything.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Not answering for FFS but, the red v's are showing 'bat drag'. Elbows leading the swing/pizza toss. Not good.

NEF

May 16, 2012
New England
Not answering for FFS but, the red v's are showing 'bat drag'. Elbows leading the swing/pizza toss. Not good.

Am I the rabbit or the carrot.

I respect numerous posters here. Would love to post the DD's swings, pretty sure the youngest would be ripped on dropping the hands and the oldest for excessive bat wrap. would love the critique though.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Am I the rabbit or the carrot.

I respect numerous posters here. Would love to post the DD's swings, pretty sure the youngest would be ripped on dropping the hands and the oldest for excessive bat wrap. would love the critique though.

No one here is about "ripping" anyone's DD. The idea is to discuss parts of the swing that could be improved to help the young hitter increase her chances of success at the plate. The "faults" you describe are very common in young hitters.

Really bad advice, however, tends to get pounced on and beaten to a pulp.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
FFS by the arrows are you for hitting down on the ball, backspin? I've heard everything from down on the ball, to fat part of the ball, to top of ball.

BTW just a Dad, with 2 DD's coaching a couple of teams, I've gone to numerous clinics (college/ high school and TB programs) and have seriously seen all of the above, and thanks to all here try to apply the Hanson principle and question everything.

The 'red arrows' represent two lines drawn along the upper 'rear arm' and 'rear forearm'. The lines intersect at the rear elbow. What we see here is the rear elbow leading the rear hand .... which is often the result of a 'bat drag' ridden swing.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2013
One of these days I will post DD’s swing again, you know there are other sports like soccer has been mentioned. :)

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Just for fun I just did some hits off a tee with my rear hand in a "palm down" position at contact. This has to be one of the most awkward things I have ever tried in my life. I cant even imagine hitting that way against live pitching. Wow!!

NEF

May 16, 2012
New England
No one here is about "ripping" anyone's DD. The idea is to discuss parts of the swing that could be improved to help the young hitter increase her chances of success at the plate. The "faults" you describe are very common in young hitters.

Really bad advice, however, tends to get pounced on and beaten to a pulp.

Not trying to be negative, just seen, heard others posting, once on the internet always on the internet. This site has been one of the most useful I've found and 90+% of the users I believe want/intend to be helpful. I have seen instructors that have helped my DD's through this site and I am thankful.

NEF

May 16, 2012
New England
The 'red arrows' represent two lines drawn along the upper 'rear arm' and 'rear forearm'. The lines intersect at the rear elbow. What we see here is the rear elbow leading the rear hand .... which is often the result of a 'bat drag' ridden swing.
Can we have the top hand (right hand) leading the elbow (right elbow) and "top" hand palm up. "Knob leading"

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors