Palm up Palm Down Through Extension

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2012
My dd's HC, whom I have great respect for as he's one of the best coaches in the state, teaches palm up palm down through extension. Watching Dr. Yeager's DVD, he teaches turning the top hand over immediately. Makes sense to me when you see Yeager demonstrate it and how if you're PUPD through extension, your hands aren't play as big a part in the swing at contact.

Working with my DD, I didn't say anything and as I watched, she is turning her hands over right after contact. So I don't know that it's a problem when it comes to her, but I want to be teaching my players (I still coach a b level team) the correct way. Is there an argument for PUPD through extension?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Some very interesting content in the thread RDB linked. In my opinion PUPD is not something to chase. It is true that many swings will result in a PUPD hand position (or close to it) at contact, but this can vary based on pitch location and timing. You stated that your DD rolls shortly after contact. I think that is a good thing.

Nov 9, 2013
JerseyBall---I believe strongly that the top hand should be "palm down" at contact and shoud stay in that position as long as possible. With the "palm up" at contact, the bat head has a tendency to be angled down toward the ground. To get the bat back on plane, the hitter will actually have to manipulate the swing with the wrists and arms. This will detract from the power that is built up from the violent rotation of the lower body. The bat will be more difficult to control with the "palm up" position, which will lead to inconsistency.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
JerseyBall---I believe strongly that the top hand should be "palm down" at contact and shoud stay in that position as long as possible. With the "palm up" at contact, the bat head has a tendency to be angled down toward the ground. To get the bat back on plane, the hitter will actually have to manipulate the swing with the wrists and arms. This will detract from the power that is built up from the violent rotation of the lower body. The bat will be more difficult to control with the "palm up" position, which will lead to inconsistency.

Will you please provide a pic or video of a high-level hitter in the position you promote? To get the top hand palm-down at contact means the wrists will have already rolled over prior to contact. Is this the method you believe in? You indicated (what appears to be) an issue with the bat head being "angled down towards the ground". Where do you believe the bat head should be at contact, in relation to the hands?

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.

Right on cue:Tryout Tips For Hitters | Hitting With Torque
Your drive by post with no input. Only post to shameless plug your blog. I do enjoy reading your post but, not for the reasons you think.
ryan.jpg

Shame you don't understand that this palm up/palm down is way after connect.

http://torque-hitting.com/2013/06/16/how-to-put-lightning-into-your-baseballsoftball-swing/
During a baseball or softball swing, both arms should be stiff, forming a “V” shape at impact with the ball. I call this the “Power V”. Yes, everything I teach is geared toward power. Other hitting instructors teach this type of extension, but I believe few know why it is so important. The extended arms are the culmination of the kinetic energy that began in the ground. Good extension, at the moment of impact with the ball, is like a “lightning bolt”. Bent arms at the moment of impact mean hitters are trying to guide the bat with the arms, resulting in lost power and inconsistency.

Just can't make this stuff up. Some of your 'students' aren't going to be too happy after try-outs.
P.S. Can you help this hitter? Cabrera isn't 'forming the power V' at contact.
Cabrera_highside_slo-1.gif

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Perhaps there is a typo? Please re-check.

Did you truly mean the "top hand" should be "palm down" at "contact"?

For a right handed hitter I consider the right hand to be the top hand .... is that your reference as well?

Then you speak of the bat being difficult to control with the "palm up" ... are you still talking the "top hand"?

Just a bit confusing .... .... .... please double check and clarify ... then we can discuss the topic.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Did you truly mean the "top hand" should be "palm down" at "contact"?
Heres Petricca example that he posted on his blog. Sure shows top hand palm down.
ryan.jpg

From his blog while we wait for his response to your question FFS. I don't think he will explain because he truly thinks he is correct AND 'we' are wrong.
During a baseball or softball swing, both arms should be stiff, forming a “V” shape at impact with the ball. I call this the “Power V”. Yes, everything I teach is geared toward power. Other hitting instructors teach this type of extension, but I believe few know why it is so important. The extended arms are the culmination of the kinetic energy that began in the ground. Good extension, at the moment of impact with the ball, is like a “lightning bolt”. Bent arms at the moment of impact mean hitters are trying to guide the bat with the arms, resulting in lost power and inconsistency.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Heres Petricca example that he posted on his blog. Sure shows top hand palm down.
ryan.jpg

From his blog while we wait for his response to your question FFS. I don't think he will explain because he truly thinks he is correct AND 'we' are wrong.

Wow! Just wow!!

He wants this hand orientation maintained from contact onwards as long as possible?

I'd actually give him some credit if he thought the top-hand should be palm-up to extension .... he'd be wrong, but at least I could understand how he had been brain-washed to believe such nonsense. Here though, instead of "top-hand palm-up", he advocates "top-hand palm-down".

If not an honest mistake ... then he's likely attempting to generate noise .... as in 'press' our replies. He likely got exactly what he wanted ..... that being exposure ..... even bad exposure can bring money in from the occasional passer-by.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Saddest part he's a hitting coach also. Like I said there maybe some shocked/saddened 'students' after high school try-outs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma