Palm Up Curve

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2013
Watched Littlejohn warming up at the WCWS. When it came to her curve, she used a spinner first (had completely flat horizontal tight spin), then moved to a black full sized ball (weighted ball?), then a baseball, and finally a regular softball. She did about 10 reps of each at various distances.

Does the leap help get more spin on the ball? Ok, ok, just kidding.

She has amazing spin and control.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Watch the up and out action that SL produces. I think her spin is what Rick is talking about and a more effective pitch. It's also a little easier to throw. I like the flat, palm up curve because it's a challenge and I think it's great for learning how to spin a ball. If you can throw a flat, palm up curve; the crise and rise should be easy.

Jun 20, 2016
Spin is king... Get out to a mens fastpitch tourny or city game almost all the men I know who pitch throw a curve that way we just locate it up or down so that it changes plane or we palm it to change speed.

Feb 26, 2012
I have 2 high school girls trying to learn this pitch. One gets the spin right (and axis) doing the 9:00 drill palm up and finishing at belt buckle but she loses it on the show it and throw it. Any advice on grip or other cues. I have read where they should lift their fingers before release.

The other gets the spin from full windup but it isn't breaking much. Thanks

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Does the axis tilt forward during "show it?" If so, exaggerate thumb down and ring finger up through release. Think about pulling (with the middle finger) around the outside of the ball and across the front. If the axis is tilted right (RHP's perspective) then she's got the crise spin that Pauly referred to. To flatten it out, exaggerate the wrist bend.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
I almost said I never heard of any other way to throw a curve but, then I remembered all the fancy pitches like the "drop curve" etc.

The bottom line should be this, IMHO, the less change to the motion is better. Putting your hand under the ball will allow you to keep a very similar motion to other pitches and still provide whip of the elbow. Whip of the elbow leads to snap of the wrist and spin with the fingers. Not simply stepping right and throwing the ball left. Or simply throwing left and calling it a curve.

Another bonus is, using your palm under to put side spin on the ball (I'm a big believer: spin the ball in the direction you need it to move) you can also turn it into a rise/curve very easy.

I say this as a simple man with a simple philosophy. Some think it's too simple. I don't believe in such pitches as the rising screw or even know what the hell a "backdoor curve is". A curve is a curve, a rise is a rise, etc. What the hell does "backdoor" have to do with it? Unless she can throw it behind the hitter and get it in for a strike.... maybe in whiffle ball. But I don't live in the Michele Smith world of 8 pitches. Why an inside curveball cannot be simply called a "curve ball inside" is beyond me. Instead a new pitch had to be invented to give the Pitch coach Mafia a chance to get your kid working on yet another pitch without improving any of the others.

Bill

May 3, 2014
I almost said I never heard of any other way to throw a curve but, then I remembered all the fancy pitches like the "drop curve" etc.

The bottom line should be this, IMHO, the less change to the motion is better. Putting your hand under the ball will allow you to keep a very similar motion to other pitches and still provide whip of the elbow. Whip of the elbow leads to snap of the wrist and spin with the fingers. Not simply stepping right and throwing the ball left. Or simply throwing left and calling it a curve.

Another bonus is, using your palm under to put side spin on the ball (I'm a big believer: spin the ball in the direction you need it to move) you can also turn it into a rise/curve very easy.

I say this as a simple man with a simple philosophy. Some think it's too simple. I don't believe in such pitches as the rising screw or even know what the hell a "backdoor curve is". A curve is a curve, a rise is a rise, etc. What the hell does "backdoor" have to do with it? Unless she can throw it behind the hitter and get it in for a strike.... maybe in whiffle ball. But I don't live in the Michele Smith world of 8 pitches. Why an inside curveball cannot be simply called a "curve ball inside" is beyond me. Instead a new pitch had to be invented to give the Pitch coach Mafia a chance to get your kid working on yet another pitch without improving any of the others.

Bill

The bane of coaches like myself is the P coaches out there that overlook clean mechanics and mastering a pitch and instead teach yet another pitch that does nothing. And all the player and parent want to know is why isn't the coach calling (insert newest pitch p coach is teaching)...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying