Palm Up Curve

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ggalante6

#1 Gabby fan
Yes Rick is great on so many levels. Wish we found him earlier. I had heard of him a year prior but he was still in SC. Went to a local (MD) coach who switch DD to palm up but he was not IR focused.

Rick's got her on the right path but we're playing a little catch up. She's a Junior in HS with the desire to play in college.

Working her butt off. Just wish more PC's would listen to guys like Pauly...

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
w
Is it possible to throw this pitch and comply with ASA 6.3.E? I ask, because I had a pitcher get called for this a few years back and I had to pull her in the 1st inning. When I slow your GIF down, I see it's also in violation. I will add, that was the only time I had a pitcher called for it.
View attachment 9629

IMO, the rule is in place to dissallow a MLB sidearm or "submariner" delivery (think KC Royals pitching great Dan Quisinberry).

if the fastpitch pitcher maintains a very tight-to-the-body arm path, achieving "brush intereference" at release for the entire arm all the way down to the forearm and wrist (like Ken is doing in your example) there is NO WAY that is being called "illegal" in real time by a game umpire.

I wish you had video of your pitcher that was called illegal to post as an example. I would wager that her arm angle was considerably away from the body. (visible daylight between upper arm humerus and body)

But to answer your question: no I do not think that you can throw an effective curve without a flattening of the wrist at release.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2013
Texas
Ken, what is the spin rotation on the curve you are throwing in the video, 9/3? Catchers perspective

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Yes--9/3. It is often a little closer to 8/2 with the axis tilted slightly forward. It sometimes takes a few throws to get the spin oriented well and spinning fast enough to move. In full motion it takes much more thought to get it spinning well.

Aug 18, 2013
During the WCWS the "commentators" kept saying everything is a curveball. When they did the slo-mo of the pitches they looked like riseball spin but at an angle. Hope I can get an example of our recordings. I expect a curveball to be more what Ken is demonstrating in this thread.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Is it possible to slow that .gif of Littlejohn down? Would like to see what her hand looks like as she is releasing the ball. Also, is it possible to take that .gif and put it in to the technique app?

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
Is it possible to slow that .gif of Littlejohn down? Would like to see what her hand looks like as she is releasing the ball. Also, is it possible to take that .gif and put it in to the technique app?
I wasn't able to load it to technique, but just stop it at different frames, you find the one where her hand is hidden behind the ball, must be double jointed or something. Don't know how she does that!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619