First Games Back

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2019
After being scheduled for 3 days of 18U ball this coming weekend and 3 more the weekend after that (July 4th), I got a call last Sat from my assigner, asking if I'd ump a 1-man DH'er on Sunday. Two solid 18U teams, with back-to back scrimmages. Sure, why not? There was only one COVID-19 related issue for me. A month or more ago, there was discussion here about the possibility of the plate ump setting up 6' behind the plate. I told my assigner before that there was no way I was doing that. You could bring out all the angles and trajectories theories in the world - and maybe you'd be right - but I just wasn't going to go back there waiting for a foul ball to come straight back and get me. Other than that, I was ready to go - COVID-19 or not.

When I got there, I saw both coaches talking on the field, and I went over to discuss how they wanted to do this. The assigner had told me that I'd be calling pitches from behind the pitcher's circle, which I also wasn't crazy about doing. So, I asked them both. Do you really want me calling pitches from 50' in front of the plate? They didn't, but thought I'd want some protection. I didn't need any. I then asked if they wanted me to wear a mask underneath my face mask. They said they didn't want me to have any difficulties breathing, and said that wasn't necessary. So, guess what? We just played ball! It felt great to get back into softball, even though it was 10 weeks after the season would normally have started. No issues. Well, except for the checked swing I called a ball, and the momentary lapse when the catcher started to ask for an appeal at 1st. It was truly only momentary, as she started to both point to 1st and turn to me, when she began laughing. The others laughed too. Had a great time, felt good to be back, and maybe that "first games of the season" burn in my quads will be gone before my games this Friday. Hope you all get your games in too!

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Just did my first game (ever). Was solo, and per this org’s return to play rules I was behind the pitcher (and had to wear a cloth mask). Not an ideal way to start - balls and strikes we’re okay, it is super awkward trying to get angles, and racing the pitcher to the plate on passed balls with a runner on third was amusing. Overall happy to be out there though, and have the girls have the opportunity to play.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802