Paid travel coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 5, 2012
We are looking to add some current or former fastpitch players to our travel teams. Any ideas what other organizations are paying them? For the current players can they even be paid? My daughter plays DII and she was told she can't accept money for coaching. Can they be reimbursed for expenses?

Jul 26, 2010
Most just get expenses reimbursed. Travel, hotel, food, ect. My daughter's 14u team currently has two D1 players assisting (Hilo and Michigan) and I know they're not making any money out of the endeavor.

-W

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD's team had two a few years ago. We only played 5 tourneys that season and I think we paid them 1000 each plus expenses.

I'd think if you are playing 10 tourneys and practicing twice a week you would be paying at least 2000.00 thinking that would work out to about 200 hours.

Now if you plan on going this route I would suggest you have a parent manager, someone of authority. I was amazed at how 11 and 12 year olds ran roughshod over college aged players. A friend of mine has indicated his DD's team 14U is doing that to their young player coach.

Out of curiosity, why can't a current player get paid to coach. Funny how a kid on a music scholarship can make money playing on the weekend or giving lessons but an athelete? No way!

Oct 10, 2011
We have one D1 player that does it for free, but my DD and others on the team take private lessons from her and she ain't cheap:)

Jul 26, 2010
Out of curiosity, why can't a current player get paid to coach. Funny how a kid on a music scholarship can make money playing on the weekend or giving lessons but an athelete? No way!

Musicians don't have to operate within NCAA guidelines. Remember that even though title IX exists, NCAA regulations are designed around high level football, basketball, ect, and the softball players have to follow the same rules. If players could be paid as coaches, you'd see all sorts of crazy third party schemes going on with D1 football players "coaching" youth sports programs funded from "anonymous" doners.

That said, I'm not exactly super-familiar with the NCAA guidelines regarding players coaching, but given who writes the rules and how they are written, I'd strongly encourage any players to utilize the services of a lawyer or player advocate to figure their way through the minefield.

-W

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
It's not about having a job, it's about retaining status as an amateur athlete vs. a professional athlete.

-W

Just be really careful, every athletic department has a compliance officer/liaison and you want to make sure any college athlete talks to them BEFORE accepting any money and that they get something in writing (or at least pointed to the paragraph that spells everything out). If you use common sense that is the easiest way to get in trouble with the NCAA they don't really use much of that when writing these compliance rules.

Jul 26, 2010
I agree with everything you said, Screwball, and like I mentioned earlier, my daughter has two D1 players coaching her team. I know that they just get their expenses covered and don't take payment, however.

I just don't want a kid to loose status or scholarships out of ignorance. These rules aren't written from a "should be fine" or "that's how it's supposed to be" standpoint. They're written by lawyers to be as shady as possible to garner money for said lawyers when it's time to pay their bills.

-W

Jan 29, 2012
We paid a D1 player this summer $1000 for 6 tourneys and a couple of practices a week (skipped a week and only had one several weeks), not to mention an all expense paid trip to the beach for last tourney. Not a bad deal for an aspiring coach if you ask me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd