Overwhelming few months

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Could be worse. Could be the upper Midwest.
My first winter in Madison, WI was the warmest winter on record. It was by far the coldest winter I had ever experienced.
This morning I left for work in NYC, and it was a chilly 34 degrees, puddles still frozen. With the family back in Madison, poor DD 3 had a long walk to the bus stop with -6 weather. She was upset that DD 1 wouldn't drive her to the bus stop.

Jun 18, 2013
The practice went great Tuesday and they invited her back Friday for another practice. I have contact info for another team that I have good feedback about the coaches so we are hoping to find her a good home. Softball and school have eased her into a bit of a groove now so things are balancing out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 2, 2015
Could be worse. Could be the upper Midwest.
My first winter in Madison, WI was the warmest winter on record. It was by far the coldest winter I had ever experienced.
This morning I left for work in NYC, and it was a chilly 34 degrees, puddles still frozen. With the family back in Madison, poor DD 3 had a long walk to the bus stop with -6 weather. She was upset that DD 1 wouldn't drive her to the bus stop.

x 2...

-30* this weekend without the windchill in NW MN...

It's getting too cold for the garage floor heat to keep up now, so the batting cage and 2 wheeled pitching machine, in the garage, sit dormant. Maybe it's time for a big ceiling heater?...

Now it's tees or soft toss for hitting, and also pitching in the basement with a 10x10x10' cage and batting net...

Jun 18, 2013
Yeah, I think Cricket is going to like it here. We were out hitting soft toss in the park up the street yesterday with sweatshirts on while it was 54 and her friends in our old home town were suffering through 19 degrees. She has practice with a highly recommended coach Saturday that I had a 45 minute phone conversation with. I am very excited about her getting a chance to see what a real coaching staff can be like. This team plays in top level tournaments and wins most weekends unless they are playing up in the age groups and they still compete. The head coach was a super positive guy who I have a personal recommendation from a former player's mother about. Hopefully, everything works out and she feels like the team is a good fit.

Oct 2, 2015
Yeah, I think Cricket is going to like it here. We were out hitting soft toss in the park up the street yesterday with sweatshirts on while it was 54 and her friends in our old home town were suffering through 19 degrees. She has practice with a highly recommended coach Saturday that I had a 45 minute phone conversation with. I am very excited about her getting a chance to see what a real coaching staff can be like. This team plays in top level tournaments and wins most weekends unless they are playing up in the age groups and they still compete. The head coach was a super positive guy who I have a personal recommendation from a former player's mother about. Hopefully, everything works out and she feels like the team is a good fit.

Good for you!!! That's great!

Jun 18, 2013
Just a quick update on the new location and team. She has been practicing with a 2003 B class team here for the last two weeks. After the first practice, she told me that she learned more about how to play 2nd/SS than she had in the season she had been playing travel in Alabama. The coach that was recommended to us has been awesome. She is a little young for this team still, she is a young 2004 and they will be moving up to 14U this summer, so we are most likely going to keep practicing with them for now and go to a tournament or two but he has a team in mind for us that he wants to talk to the coach about her joining. He already told me that Cricket would probably step on the field and be the best player on that team but the coach fits what I am looking for and she will get the kind of coaching that she needs. We will probably move to the new team and then practice with the older team whenever we have available times that line up.

I'm loving it here.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Your story really encourages me.

I have been working in the NYC area with my family still in Wisconsin since late July. I really like the softball coaching DD 3 is getting in Wisconsin. OTOH, they play softball here as well. As an ASA umpire here told me: "Sure we got softball. We got 8 million people". I've been nervous as heck, but, I've also noticed they play fall ball until the end of November, while in Madison fall ball ends mid-October and is often very chilly. They also play softball in the spring, at times when the fields in Madison are covered with snow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbcoach26