Tough One - daughter considering new team. Coach wants her to change positions...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 21, 2015
South
My DD just had a workout with other college players on Sunday. Guess what. 2 Left handed catchers from the same D1 school came to work out. If your DD wants to play catcher then her skill videos need to showcase that. My DD played catcher most of her TB career. She started getting some 1B her Summer after Jr. year and then played some at 3b after her Senior year. She gets to college and she is splitting time at 3B and catcher and played a little at SS. Still mostly Catcher, but my point is when she gets to college she will not have choice where she plays. As long as her hitting is strong, then she can start.

Something to think about. Will your DD have a better chance starting as Freshman at the D3 or the D1??? I know many D1 kids that didn't get a whole lot of playing time their freshman year and little their soph year. They ended up quitting softball. It is A LOT of work to put in only to be chasing foul balls all season. They can wear on a kid. Find the best fit that allows your DD a legitimate chance in playing. I am not saying this is you, but many families get hung up on playing D1 or bust. They snub their noses at D3 opportunities where they could have contributed to that program. Think about this. You stand a better chance winning a National Championship at a D3 than you do a D1. In all reality there are maybe 10 programs in the country that have a chance of winning it all at the D1 level. And only a few mid majors have a chance. ULL. D3-your shot to go to the Championship are way higher and the rings look the same!
This is truly wise advice! Catching bullpens for a whole year without getting a chance to play in games is really tough. That's why many girls do not last through a 4 year college career. Make sure the level of your daughter's ability matches the level of play at the college she decides to go to. Too many girls shoot to high and end up not having a positive college experience.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
This is truly wise advice! Catching bullpens for a whole year without getting a chance to play in games is really tough. That's why many girls do not last through a 4 year college career. Make sure the level of your daughter's ability matches the level of play at the college she decides to go to. Too many girls shoot to high and end up not having a positive college experience.
Why then are there 20+ players happy to take spots on rosters?

Individual goals reflect what individuals want to do.

Some choose to be in top tier eventhough they may be lower on the roster.

While others pick lower tier and can be higher on the roster.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I became acquainted with a Long Beach State coach who used to pitch at UCLA her name is Stephanie Swenson Brown. She threw at UCLA while Lisa Fernandez was basically ruling the circle there. I can recall coach Stephanie telling me about all the pitches she threw while she was at UCLA. The far majority of those pitches were thrown to her own team. Recall her talking about throwing many many drops to the UCLA hitters. I asked "how was that did you get to get any game time". She said " yes I got in some games." But she recognized her role was very important as she was developing the hitters to lead her team to Victory.
I was very impressed...
Of that UCLA Bruin pitcher.!!! And was absolutely thrilled that she had taken on the pitching coach position at Long Beach State. Because she understands what it is to be a team player. That role may not be for everybody.
Saying it is for somebody!

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
If the only negative for the good out of state org is inconvenience (and not a money thing for example) then as @sluggers stated I would go with that team and just grin and bear it for a year.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Why then are there 20+ players happy to take spots on rosters?

Individual goals reflect what individuals want to do.

Some choose to be in top tier even though they may be lower on the roster.

While others pick lower tier and can be higher on the roster.

Sitting the bench while getting a degree from Harvard or Stanford is one thing. Sitting the bench for four years at Long Beach State or Eastern Kentucky is another.

Parents have to be very careful. Most parents and DDs don't really understand the reality of college sports. Some kid end up over their head..

College coaches are trying to replace their starters every year. If they find someone better than a DD, then the DD is sitting the bench.

There was a situation a few years ago where a kid was a good pitcher, and could have easily been a great mid-major pitcher. But, Daddy just couldn't see straight...he was sure that his DD was going to be the big dog pitcher freshman year. So, the kid got a scholarship to one of the top Pac12 schools. It turned into a monumental crash and burn.

The kid barely made it through her first season. She stopped playing softball, and dropped out of school.

Jun 8, 2016
Sitting the bench while getting a degree from Harvard or Stanford is one thing. Sitting the bench for four years at Long Beach State or Eastern Kentucky is another.
Ouch..that wasn't nice :LOL:

Edit: Also what you say depends on the kid and what level maturity/perspective they have. I sat the bench my freshmen year at Tufts and at no time did the school ranking console me. Of course the next year I started the first 15 games and then promptly quit the team so I had other issues.... 😂

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Ouch..that wasn't nice :LOL:

Edit: Also what you say depends on the kid and what level maturity/perspective they have. I sat the bench my freshmen year at Tufts and at no time did the school ranking console me. Of course the next year I started the first 15 games and then promptly quit the team so I had other issues.... 😂

Thanks. I would tell you about my second year of college, but there is no statute of limitations on some of my activities.

Parents get so wrapped in college sports...the kids have all kinds of other issues beside catching and throwing a ball.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi