Tough One - daughter considering new team. Coach wants her to change positions...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Thanks. I would tell you about my second year of college, but there is no statute of limitations on some of my activities.

Parents get so wrapped in college sports...the kids have all kinds of other issues beside catching and throwing a ball.
Yeah all my issues were legal and typically involved either wanting to punch myself in the face or my manager and sometimes both at the same time.

Jun 8, 2016
FYI, I appreciate these discussions..hopefully I remember them in 6 to 7 years or so when it comes time to make some of these decisions (assuming DD is still playing..)

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
sd
There was a situation a few years ago where a kid was a good pitcher, and could have easily been a great mid-major pitcher. But, Daddy just couldn't see straight...he was sure that his DD was going to be the big dog pitcher freshman year. So, the kid got a scholarship to one of the top Pac12 schools. It turned into a monumental crash and burn.

The kid barely made it through her first season. She stopped playing softball, and dropped out of school.
This happens more than you think. As I have mentioned previously, getting recruited is the easy part. The hard part is staying. Most families have no idea what it takes to be a college athlete...at any level. I have a friend who's kid played 4 years at mid major close to our area, and the stories that he shared were mind boggling. Horror stories about the coaching staff. Crazy stories about the players. It was a very toxic environment. The coaching staff was fired after her Jr. year for due cause which made the news. His kid barely made it through those 4 years, but was a little more tolerable when the new coaching staff came in. She graduated last year, got a great job with a very large O&G company, is getting married next month and does not miss softball.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Yeah all my issues were legal and typically involved either wanting to punch myself in the face or my manager and sometimes both at the same time.
When we are young, we make stupid decisions that we regret later on in life depending on the situation. I am assuming that you would do things different today if you could have it back. DD was looking at Tufts early in her recruiting process! We do our best to guide our children based on our own personal experiences. I have a saying: You gotta get burned to learn. You touch fire, you realize it's hot! You don't touch fire anymore. We learn more when we fail, than when we succeed. Our generation of parents tend to pave the way to success for our kids not realizing that we might be doing more harm than good. I was watching a Netflix movie last night that demonstrated this. The F*&K it List. The movie is your typical teenage coming of age type of movie with parents that planned out 18 years of their son life to get to the Ivies. I need to finish it since my buddy and I got on a call talking softball, which is way more important.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I tell my DD that she should use softball to get what she wants out of college. She's still young, but the sentiment I think is a good one. We have some friends and acquaintances who's DD's are absolutely crushing it in major P5 schools as Freshmen, but we also have some that share their DD's difficulties in Div 1 softball. Eeek..

Anyway, it is always nice to read about real world experiences.

Jun 8, 2016
When we are young, we make stupid decisions that we regret later on in life depending on the situation. I am assuming that you would do things different today if you could have it back. DD was looking at Tufts early in her recruiting process! We do our best to guide our children based on our own personal experiences. I have a saying: You gotta get burned to learn. You touch fire, you realize it's hot! You don't touch fire anymore. We learn more when we fail, than when we succeed. Our generation of parents tend to pave the way to success for our kids not realizing that we might be doing more harm than good. I was watching a Netflix movie last night that demonstrated this. The F*&K it List. The movie is your typical teenage coming of age type of movie with parents that planned out 18 years of their son life to get to the Ivies. I need to finish it since my buddy and I got on a call talking softball, which is way more important.
The decision I made to go to Tufts was a good one, especially once I quit baseball. The decision to quit was probably a good one too..I was miserable playing. The stuff I regret has to do with what went on between my ears to make me miserable and was due to a combination of many things over a long period of time starting from the time I started playing ball...

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Thanks. I would tell you about my second year of college, but there is no statute of limitations on some of my activities.

This wouldn't have anything to do with a dead horse found in the Dean's office at Faber College a number of years ago, would it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi