Tough One - daughter considering new team. Coach wants her to change positions...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2018
I showed my 18u catcher daughter this and asked her what she would do. She said she wouldn’t go to a team she couldn’t be a catcher on...she would hate it. Even if it was a higher level team. I think that the issue is if she absolutely wants to play D1 maybe it is better to get on a big name team. I do realize that every kid is different and maybe that wouldn’t bother your daughter. Just sharing what my daughter said. Also my daughter is completely happy to play at a local D3 who is recruiting her as a catcher. She had some interest from a mid major D1 in another state. Looking at it now I think she made the best decision. Not sure how much she would have played there. Plus it was in a state she doesn’t want to live in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 29, 2016
Did the coach say she wouldn't catch much because of her pop time, catching ability, or something else?

I did not speak with the coach. My daughter handled everything. He did email me a couple of hours later. This is what he said in his email to me:

I told her I would have difficult time getting fielding time for her based on her arm strength. I also told her she has an awesome swing and I was very impressed with her hitting. I asked her to think about if she would be ok being on a team, and getting plenty of hitting reps but limited fielding time.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I don't know, to me, that reads like she could wind up in a similar "limited playing time" situation. How can she have lots of hitting but little fielding? Is there a DP/Flex situation? Would she hit in place of a PO? I'd want more of a clear indication of what he means by "limited fielding time." First base is not mentioned in that email.

Jul 29, 2016
I don't know, to me, that reads like she could wind up in a similar "limited playing time" situation. How can she have lots of hitting but little fielding? Is there a DP/Flex situation? Would she hit in place of a PO? I'd want more of a clear indication of what he means by "limited fielding time." First base is not mentioned in that email.

Correct. In a later email, responding to a specific question I asked about this very issue, the coach said this:
From a fielding time, I would expect her to rotate at 1B as long as her defense didn’t cost us runs with errors or mental mistakes. She would get rare catching time in games.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I showed my 18u catcher daughter this and asked her what she would do. She said she wouldn’t go to a team she couldn’t be a catcher on...she would hate it. Even if it was a higher level team. I think that the issue is if she absolutely wants to play D1 maybe it is better to get on a big name team. I do realize that every kid is different and maybe that wouldn’t bother your daughter. Just sharing what my daughter said. Also my daughter is completely happy to play at a local D3 who is recruiting her as a catcher. She had some interest from a mid major D1 in another state. Looking at it now I think she made the best decision. Not sure how much she would have played there. Plus it was in a state she doesn’t want to live in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congrats to your dd!
Might there be anything you/she could share regarding how she made her decision?
Thanku

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi