Tough One - daughter considering new team. Coach wants her to change positions...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2016
Let me preface with this. My daughter is a very good student. She is a 2022 grad, and is being recruited by a few D3s. She has her heart set on a mid-major D1. One of the coaches there is watching her. He asks about her to a friend he has already offered. He follows my daughter's Twitter feed, and frequently "likes" her softball posts. That's about all he can do until 9/1.

Daughter is a catcher, and she loves it. Her secondary position is 1B. She's a lefty. Back in Fall, her pop time was around 1.8, and she routinely caught runners stealing. Her travel team hasn't played very much, so she's a little deconditioned. Yesterday, her pop-time was measured at 2.06, so there's been a little regression.

Her current team is a part of a very good organization. Due to team dynamics and some plain old bad luck (an untimely injury), my daughter's time on the field has been falling off. Last week, they played five games, and she caught 3 innings with 3 plate appearances. Daughter just wants to play, and she wants to play for a "good team."

So, even though our season isn't over, we're trying out. She has a very good out of state organization that has offered her a spot as their primary catcher. Good opportunity, but logistics of playing and practicing would be tough. She also tried out for a local "big name" team, and looked rusty behind the plate. She looked very good with the bat (unusual, because she's hardly swung the bat in a real game over the last four months). The coach, who is very direct, basically said he would like her to come to the team, but she'll play first and have very little time behind the plate.

She's thinking about it. She would still catch 90% of her school ball innings (which starts in a month).

So what do you think? Is it going to hurt her recruiting chances switching from catcher? This is a great team that will get her noticed by lots of college coaches. I've asked her to email the D3 coaches she's talking to and ask them out-right. What do you all think?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
So this question is
For one travel team should she change her technical position thats rusty?

Great she ALREADY has colleges interested in her as a catcher.
This sounds like down time played a role in performance.
Time to get back on the 'training track'
To get back to performance levels!

As for changing positions from a technical position like catching.
Would say no dont stop being a catcher.
Ok to have a secondary position.
Consider having catcher on her resume
(or anyones) as a bonus asset!

While some people say you should do what the tb coach wants...
Remember that travel ball is the player and Family's choice to play for that team. There will be other team choices if you want.

On pop times
1.8 vs 2.0
is 2 tenths of a second difference.
=healthy body speed and mechanics.

If she could throw 1.8 than she can do it again.
Body needs to get back to quick explosive routine.
Muscle memory needs to get triggerd again.

( did not read type of injury?
So not commenting towards that)

GO CATCHERS !!!

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2016
If she ALREADY has colleges interested.
Then sounds like injury played a role in performance.
Time to get back on the 'training track'
To get back to performance levels!

Yeah - we're working on this now. Your advice is certainly solid in a vacuum, but here in GA, we are wrapping up our current seasons and about to start school ball (Covid-willing). You've got to have next year's travel team nailed down pretty much by the end of July.

The real question is do we change teams and positions for significantly more playing time and better coaching. Potential coach isn't telling her she won't catch - just that she'll be limited. He's not stupid. If she shows up and demonstrates improvement, he'll give her more chances.

Apr 28, 2014
If her pop time is over 2 seconds at 16u then catching will be tough on a high level team.
If she can get her arm "back" then go with the team that offers her the best chance to catch at a high level. You will figure out the logistics and make it work.
Even for 2022s time is running out. She will need to get with a good team and play good competition if she wants that D1 mid major spot. That and her bat will help if she can hit.
There are a lot of 1.8 pop time catchers with good bats that mid majors can select from, need to get the bat really working to stand out from the rest.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Sounds like opportunity on that team.
Just to ask
Any other tb teams to look at to compare?

May 21, 2015
South
Please excuse my directness and remember that my comments are just another opinion for you to consider. It sounds to me that your daughter is probably a pretty good catcher; however, catchers at mid major D1 schools are better than pretty good. The tournament team your daughter plays for is important but not as important as other issues in the recruiting process. The most important thing you mentioned in your OP is " My daughter is a very good student ". I believe that the most important part of the recruiting process is to identify schools where your daughter would like to go to get an education. This is not an easy task(especially during Covid) and will require your help and energy exploring on the internet and making campus visits. You also mentioned that " has her heart set on a mid-major D1". Why? I see a lot of girls whose primary motivation is the signing ceremony at their high school and to be able to say "I got a D! scholarship. The real goal is to find a college where your daughter can get a good education and have a positive softball experience. Being a backup on a below 500 winning percentage mid major is not as positive as starting for a high level D3 that competes for a national championship. To answer your question, most college coaches are concerned way more with a recruits ability to hit than their defensive ability. Unless your daughter becomes a super stud catcher, her position really doesn't mater. I would go with the local team and not worry about her not catching.

Mar 28, 2014
Let me preface with this. My daughter is a very good student. She is a 2022 grad, and is being recruited by a few D3s. She has her heart set on a mid-major D1. One of the coaches there is watching her. He asks about her to a friend he has already offered. He follows my daughter's Twitter feed, and frequently "likes" her softball posts. That's about all he can do until 9/1.

Daughter is a catcher, and she loves it. Her secondary position is 1B. She's a lefty. Back in Fall, her pop time was around 1.8, and she routinely caught runners stealing. Her travel team hasn't played very much, so she's a little deconditioned. Yesterday, her pop-time was measured at 2.06, so there's been a little regression.

Her current team is a part of a very good organization. Due to team dynamics and some plain old bad luck (an untimely injury), my daughter's time on the field has been falling off. Last week, they played five games, and she caught 3 innings with 3 plate appearances. Daughter just wants to play, and she wants to play for a "good team."

So, even though our season isn't over, we're trying out. She has a very good out of state organization that has offered her a spot as their primary catcher. Good opportunity, but logistics of playing and practicing would be tough. She also tried out for a local "big name" team, and looked rusty behind the plate. She looked very good with the bat (unusual, because she's hardly swung the bat in a real game over the last four months). The coach, who is very direct, basically said he would like her to come to the team, but she'll play first and have very little time behind the plate.

She's thinking about it. She would still catch 90% of her school ball innings (which starts in a month).

So what do you think? Is it going to hurt her recruiting chances switching from catcher? This is a great team that will get her noticed by lots of college coaches. I've asked her to email the D3 coaches she's talking to and ask them out-right. What do you all think?
I'll just say this. The recruit pool gets VERY crowded at 1st base and if you want a Mid level D1 scholarship as a 1st baseman you better be able to knock the cover off the ball on a regular basis.

I would never switch from Catcher if I had skills there because you touch the ball every play. Beats the heck out of playing a position where you might get 2 ground balls per game.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Being a backup on a below 500 winning percentage mid major is not as positive as starting for a high level D3 that competes for a national championship.
Just to add to conversation....

The above comment applys to an individuals goal. Not what others think is more presitgious.
Most consider D1 softball top tier.

As to playing another position.
There is no guarantee that taking on a new position at this age in her journey will produce earning a spot. Especially competing against others who have been playing those spots for years.

She already has colleges follwing and interested as a catcher.
It is good to have a list of goal colleges. Be open to opportunity at all levels.

Catching on the resume opens doors!

Mar 28, 2014
Being a backup on a below 500 winning percentage mid major is not as positive as starting for a high level D3 that competes for a national championship.
I disagree. It's not that cut and dried. You are looking at this through a softball only lense. However, if a girl is using softball as a means to get an education, which should be the case every time since there is no pro softball, getting a degree from a mid level D1 could be much better than getting one from a D3. All depends on the academics of each college.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi