Overlap of level of play in NCAA divisions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2022
Agreed. It’s the same reason why colleges look at the weighted and unweighted GPAs. At some schools, a “C” in an AP class can be a “4.0” since it is weighted on a 6.0 scale. At my kids’ HS, taking honors or AP classes were weighted the same, and the highest you could get with an A+ was a 4.6 in those classes (non-honors/AP was a 4.3). That’s why even if you take AP and honors you still need to do well in them.

That’s also why HS profiles exist - and colleges tend to know the difference.

The highest you can get at our school for an A in AP class is 4.01 and they are much harder than our regular classes. It’s not unusual at our school for the top 5-10 percent to have never taken an AP or honors class because one A- drops you out of the top 10 percent. Now the top 1-5 percent are just wicked smart and take everything and never get that A-.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 10, 2020
For a guy whose user name is Bullseye, it's ironic that every single one of your posts completely misses the mark.
For a guy j.d. who wants to call themself a coach you haven't addressed your comment of players you know nothing about. Your comment about a college player who has been using a drill to their success for years won't work. Heres the bullseye right on point!
While I commend you for trying to research further understanding evaluating talent level. Your blatant disregard for the point of the comment made toward you see as an attempt to deflect what you originally said. I am not in disagreement with if you do not like wrist snaps. However for you to not know the mechanics of a pitcher or how they are using a drill, be it wrist snaps or any other, and make a blanket comment saying that will not work for her. Particularly in this case, for a high level pitcher who uses wrist snaps. For you to comment that it won't work for her is asinine. As a person j.d. who calls yourself a coach I will not respect that title of you because of your inability to see past what you think should apply to everybody particularly without knowing or seeing the athlete you are speaking about. You have made a predetermined evaluation about a player you know nothing about. That in itself is terrible.
On your quest to understand evaluating talent levels and how to assess them, it would be helpful to include recognizing players who produce upper level talent know what they are doing and are useful resources to talk to about how they achieved the athleticism they produce. My daughter included as she is already part of her College camps interacting with younger softball players.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Here is an interesting geographical tidbit I noticed looking at the top 25 teams from last year in all divisions. A vast majority of the top 25 D1 teams are from warmer climates.. Oregon State and Washington were really the only two not in a relatively warm weather location. In contrast, many more of the D3 top 25 is located in colder climates. A former teammate of mine coached baseball at Penn State for a few years. He would tell me how hard it was to recruit against the warmer climate teams due to their location.

Found this interesting so I did a little checking. The reason for that is actually very simple. There are way, way more D3 schools with softball in the Midwest/Northeast than anywhere else in the country. I imagine the South (and West Coast) would dominate D3, too, if they had the numbers.

Here's D3:

1672177940603.png

Here's the D1 map:

1672178042613.png

On the actual site (Smarthlete.com), if you hover over the number it outlines the range.

Oct 26, 2019
Found this interesting so I did a little checking. The reason for that is actually very simple. There are way, way more D3 schools with softball in the Midwest/Northeast than anywhere else in the country. I imagine the South (and West Coast) would dominate D3, too, if they had the numbers.

Here's D3:

View attachment 27112

Here's the D1 map:

View attachment 27113

On the actual site (Smarthlete.com), if you hover over the number it outlines the range.
I think there are more colleges in general in the northeast right? The further south you go the more popular JUCO’s seem to become also. Would be interesting to look at. Bottom line: baseball and softball in the extreme cold is no fun.

Nov 5, 2014
It's not wrong and I am jealous it seems DD's location, Madeira Beach, is one of the few still waiting for the schedule to be released so I am resigned to refreshing the website several times a day
Finally!!!, they released the schedule for Madeira Beach. I will be checking the Massey ratings for all of DD's opponents even though I find them to be very flawed for mid majors.

Apr 14, 2022
I have read all the posts so someone may have posed this question. I wonder how the transfer portal will affect the overlap?
Will recruits opt for non power 5 so they can play right away?
Will the bigger schools go to the portal over incoming freshman?
A lot of money is spent on travel ball to be noticed by certain teams. Will this be less important thinking one can go D2-D3 then transfer?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I have read all the posts so someone may have posed this question. I wonder how the transfer portal will affect the overlap?
Will recruits opt for non power 5 so they can play right away?
Yes they will try transfer portal for that reason.
Will the bigger schools go to the portal over incoming freshman?
Yes already happening. Have seen College rosters of this at 50% of incoming recruits.
AsA lot of money is spent on travel ball to be noticed by certain teams. Will this be less important thinking one can go D2-D3 then transfer?
Yes. As D1 spots fill up, and decisions for those spots are made later in the year-AKA=LATE summer, players will take offers for D2 and D3 that are being offered much earlier than the possibility of the D1 spots.

The extended D1 super senior 5th year option for players has created more transfer portal clutter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877