New PR for overhand velocity. 63 & 64 mph!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 25, 2019
So, my DD is a 2025 and only recently has she been to camps that take metrics. While in Colorado at the Sparkler this past summer, she got clocked at the Bombers Showcase Camp. Over the summer, she was clocked at 61 mph with a pocket radar used by the camp. At the time, I thought that was great for her age. Well she has given herself a goal of 65. When she first got her Pocket Radar (yes, it's hers....she raised her own money in order to buy one), she was constantly checking overhand velocity and exit velocity. Well, it's much like jumping on a scale every day when you're trying to lose weight. Give yourself some time.... Anyways, I digress. She has been working hard with weight training and tons of long toss (so much so that I actually think I hurt myself because my elbow has not been right). We dusted off the Pocket Radar and brought it out to the ballfield. Her very first throw was 61. She was shocked!! She knew she had more in the tank. Anyways, she was consistently throwing 63 mph. After about 20 throws you could tell she was getting gassed but of course she wanted to do 1 more and hit 64. I got a picture but no video of that one. Anyways, here is a short video I did for her YouTube channel.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
That is a good number for sure. Understand, just like tee exit velocity the overhand throw is a skill unto its own. If you look at the players that are throwing 65+, almost always its a running/sprinting crow hop. Sometimes you even see the player walking backwards before. Even though those throws have nothing to do with the "game" of softball, they're done for that single number that stands out.

What I like about your DD's is that is a functional throw, no funny business. If you simply trained her for the specificity of the OHT metric, she'll go up even more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802