Outfielders

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
OK, I'm going to say it ...

OF is less fun than IF (to most)

OF is less important than IF (always)

OF is easier to master than IF (to most)

OF is a better place to hide a weaker fielder than IF (most of the time)

The idea that infielders cost you bases and outfielders cost you runs is a spin job.

That doesn't mean OF is not important, or that it's easy, or that anybody can do it. All defensive positions are important, and all can win or lose the game.

But having a solid infield is a bigger priority on every team.

I mean, have you ever known a team looking for a great-fielding corner outfielder?

Which would you prefer then, 2 errors in a game by your 2B or 2 errors in a game by your RF? I think that's an easy answer. One cost you a bag the other coast multiple bags. Not to mention balls that should be clean singles down the line or into the gap become doubles by not playing good angles. If you play a bad angle on a ball in the 5-6 hole it's still a single. Also a diving stop by the SS prevents a single but a diving stop in the OF prevents a double or more.

If a team is playing at a high level they had better have solid defensive players everywhere.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Which would you prefer then, 2 errors in a game by your 2B or 2 errors in a game by your RF? I think that's an easy answer. One cost you a bag the other coast multiple bags. Not to mention balls that should be clean singles down the line or into the gap become doubles by not playing good angles. If you play a bad angle on a ball in the 5-6 hole it's still a single. Also a diving stop by the SS prevents a single but a diving stop in the OF prevents a double or more.

It's true that 2 errors in RF is usually more damaging than 2 errors by the 2B. However, errors/mistakes are more common at 2B, so a weak 2B has more opportunity to hurt her team than a poor RF.

If a team is playing at a high level they had better have solid defensive players everywhere.

Generally true. I'm not saying it's OK to have butchers in the outfield. I just don't think it's factually accurate to say that outfielders are just as important to the defense as infielders.

Mar 28, 2013

The idea that infielders cost you bases and outfielders cost you runs is a spin job.

That doesn't mean OF is not important, or that it's easy, or that anybody can do it. All defensive positions are important, and all can win or lose the game.

I mean, have you ever known a team looking for a great-fielding corner outfielder?

Pretty much disagree with every point unless you're talking b and c level Ball. The only point I would make is at national level 95 % of infielders are not fast enough to be outfielders. You cant learn speed. you can work on jump and reading the ball but unless you're a 2.6 home to first you are not playing outfield on a elite team.

Apr 26, 2015
DD played on a team last year where the outfield cost the team numerous games. As mentioned above her coach was convinced he could turn any good infielder into an outfielder. It was a huge mistake. The girls didn't understand the drop step, they thought they should dive for anything and took forever to get back on their feet when they missed, they had NO idea where to throw the ball once they retrieved it, half the time they would just huck the ball towards the infield willy nilly - not directed at anyone, more like a hot potato that they didn't want to be left holding. The team had a decent CF but she was not able to cover the entire OF. I most definitely think OF is JUST as important as IF at the upper ages (and even at higher level 10U and 12U).

Another story...DD can lay down a nasty bunt. She had several home runs off errors on bunt coverage last year - BECAUSE the OF wasn't backing up the throw. Time and time again the ball would be fielded and overthrown to 1st and the right fielder had no idea it was their job to cover. OF not only has to know how to catch the ball in the OF, but also has to back up the errors made in the IF. How anyone could say they are less important is beyond me!

Sep 17, 2009
Pretty much disagree with every point unless you're talking b and c level Ball. The only point I would make is at national level 95 % of infielders are not fast enough to be outfielders. You cant learn speed. you can work on jump and reading the ball but unless you're a 2.6 home to first you are not playing outfield on a elite team.

100% agree. If your rightfielder is making two errors (as mentioned above) in *a season* let alone a game you've got some work to do...

Athletes to the outfield, is my take...

If I had to hide a big stick no glove player I'd start at DP 'em, then first, then third, and then....after that it's tough. But not in the OF.

Last edited:

TMD

Feb 18, 2016

Not going to debate importance or ease of mastery or even "fun"...it's a no-win situation so I'll just agree to disagree (well, maybe I'll debate just a little). That said, the goal should be to put the best 9 (or 10) players in the lineup to give you the best chance of winning. What makes a great outfielder is different than what makes a great short stop. Both have jobs to do and it's equally important that both do those jobs well if you want to have a consistent chance of winning. If you are playing at a high competitive level, your priority better be to have a solid infield and outfield...if you place a greater emphasis on one over the other, it will bite you in the butt.

Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota
We need to link this to the speed thread! Where is this warehouse full of girls who can run a legitimate laser-timed 2.6 and are also elite level outfielders and hitters?

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

May 22, 2015
Illinois
In 10U coaches tend to "hide" weaker players in the outfield or rotate kids out there to get them in the game. By 12U, especially second year, there is no place to "hide" them anymore as balls are getting hit their way more and more. By 14U outfielders absolutely need to know the nuances of the position and have the skill set to perform there. The outfield is not for everybody. Like most of you I have seen games lost or momentum shift due to bad outfield fundamentals where sure outs turn into runs. DD splits her time between middle infield and outfield on her TB team, but for school ball she pretty much is always left or center field. I kind of assume this trend will continue through high school with her mostly because she is good there and has some speed.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
The only point I would make is at national level 95 % of infielders are not fast enough to be outfielders. You cant learn speed. you can work on jump and reading the ball but unless you're a 2.6 home to first you are not playing outfield on a elite team.

I don't agree that 95 percent of infielders are not fast enough to play outfield or that you have to have 2.6 speed to play outfield on an elite team. It's funny that the thread began with how outfielders don't get respect. Now, infielders just got insulted. :)

If you are playing at a high competitive level, your priority better be to have a solid infield and outfield...if you place a greater emphasis on one over the other, it will bite you in the butt.

The belief that infield defense is more important than outfield defense doesn't rule out having a solid infield and a solid outfield. There are lots of assets that team can have - hitting, pitching, catching, base-running, fielding. All are important, and any can come back to bite you. But that doesn't make them all equally valuable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish