Left-handed Pitcher, what say you?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
It's not like baseball where lefties are sought after to help get out lefty hitters but a I certainly wouldn't not take a lefty pitcher if they are good. I think Osterman and Ricketts did OK

Oct 4, 2018
After refreshing my brain on statistics I was able to figure out the total OPS for RHH vs LHH in the D1 chart listed in this thread.

LHH= .766 OPS
RHH= .761 OPS

Very little difference in overall OPS between RHH and LHH.

If Pattar was still around, I am sure he could have figured this out much faster than I could.

FREE PATTAR!!!

Aug 21, 2008
Both major points I was thinking when I read the original post were already made by others:

1. at 10-11u, throwing strikes is more important than which arm is used to do it. Yes there can be a novelty effect of a ball thrown by a lefty at that age but, most success at that age isn't about righty/lefty pitchers. It's about strikes. A huge portion of girls that age go up to bat looking for a walk, afraid to swing. So if you can throw strikes at that age, you're bound to get the majority of your outs via strikeout.

2. I've never noticed a difference in righty/righty, lefty/lefty, lefty/righty, or righty/lefty matchups the way baseball seems to. I'm not really sure why that is. If there is a difference between the pitcher's successes based on being right/left handed, it's minimal at best. In my experience the left hand pitcher who dominates will dominate regardless of whether he's facing a R/L hand hitter.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles