Outfielders

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
If you look at the math the infield and outfield are about the same with regards to defensive 'importance' at the higher levels. The piece you are missing is that not all IF and OF positions are equal. A LF is not the same value defensively as a CF or a 2B.

The list roughly goes like this (if I recall):

1. Catcher
2. SS
3. 2B, 3B, CF (Tie)
4. LF, RF (Tie)
5. 1B

If you have filled out a lineup sheet enough times this should make sense to you.

Feb 15, 2016
If you look at the math the infield and outfield are about the same with regards to defensive 'importance' at the higher levels. The piece you are missing is that not all IF and OF positions are equal. A LF is not the same value defensively as a CF or a 2B.

The list roughly goes like this (if I recall):

1. Catcher
2. SS
3. 2B, 3B, CF (Tie)
4. LF, RF (Tie)
5. 1B

If you have filled out a lineup sheet enough times this should make sense to you.

When you say "look at the math" what does that mean? Interesting list. Does the order mean the order in which you select players in that position? Best catcher definitely plays catcher and the second best catcher could be put at 3B or 1B or something?

May 17, 2012
When you say "look at the math" what does that mean? Interesting list. Does the order mean the order in which you select players in that position? Best catcher definitely plays catcher and the second best catcher could be put at 3B or 1B or something?

As I recall the saber-metrics community did some math on defensive value (saving/giving up runs) for the positions. Any good coach knows that you want to be strong up the middle and the math verified that. As I recall the value of the infield matched the value of the outfield but of course there are more infield positions.

I found it interesting that a 2B, 3B, and CF were of equal importance defensively. Corner OF and 1B were the least important (but we knew that).

Mar 28, 2013
We need to link this to the speed thread! Where is this warehouse full of girls who can run a legitimate laser-timed 2.6 and are also elite level outfielders and hitters?

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

There is not any warehouse. watch any pgf championship game an I guarantee top three will all have legit 2.6-2.7 speed and you want t guess where they will be on D. you guessed it, outfield. Elite outfielders are as hard to find as elite catcher and pitchers. sorry no Barn, but if this game wasn't so stupid expensive and was reachable to inner city kids there would be allot more of them. we play firecracker rico several time a year and not a single player that bats is slower than a 2.8

Mar 28, 2013
I don't agree that 95 percent of infielders are not fast enough to play outfield or that you have to have 2.6 speed to play outfield on an elite team. It's funny that the thread began with how outfielders don't get respect. Now, infielders just got insulted. :)

who Is insulting Infielders for Christ sake. If you cant differentiate between lateral movement and quick release throws and flat out raw speed and long levers which produce long hard throws than you wont get my point.

Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota
There is not any warehouse. watch any pgf championship game an I guarantee top three will all have legit 2.6-2.7 speed and you want t guess where they will be on D. you guessed it, outfield. Elite outfielders are as hard to find as elite catcher and pitchers. sorry no Barn, but if this game wasn't so stupid expensive and was reachable to inner city kids there would be allot more of them. we play firecracker rico several time a year and not a single player that bats is slower than a 2.8
I am not going to argue with you since I don't know the players on FC-Rico. I would like to laser time his roster and see the results.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Say you could have one elite fielder and one below average fielder and you had to put one at SS and one in RF. What do you decide to do if your job depends on winning?

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Generally true. I'm not saying it's OK to have butchers in the outfield. I just don't think it's factually accurate to say that outfielders are just as important to the defense as infielders.

The defensive spectrum in baseball goes C > SS > 2B > CF > 3B > RF > LF > 1B for a reason (and the "space" between them isn't actually even). I haven't really seen anything in softball that tells me it's any different. Maybe, maybe I'd more third up ahead of CF because of slapping, bunting, etc., but I'm not sure about that.

EDIT: I'm talking about the highest levels of softball, as with baseball, where 1B is at the bottom because every player can perform the most important aspects of the position.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Say you could have one elite fielder and one below average fielder and you had to put one at SS and one in RF. What do you decide to do if your job depends on winning?

So, I agree with the premise that good infielders are more important than good outfielders, but comparing SS to RF isn't fair since I'm not sure anybody, anywhere is going to argue that right field is as important as shortstop.

I'd rather have a great CF and a mediocre 3B than the reverse (at high enough levels where outfielders don't go games at a time without anything to do).

Jul 3, 2013
I am not going to argue with you since I don't know the players on FC-Rico. I would like to laser time his roster and see the results.

I'm with [MENTION=14479]55dad[/MENTION] on this. I've seen too many 3.0 girls listed as 2.6 or 2.7 to believe there's a whole team of 2.8s.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06