Left-handed Pitcher, what say you?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 20, 2023
So I have to ask the question, is there a strategic or competitive advantage to having a left-handed pitcher on the team roster? I’ve heard both yes and no in local circles but I’m asking the internets to opine on the topic. DD is a 11u left handed pitcher, throws pretty hard and can place her fastballs pretty well, does she have a special marketable softball skill when it comes to getting on a roster?

Jun 18, 2023
So I have to ask the question, is there a strategic or competitive advantage to having a left-handed pitcher on the team roster? I’ve heard both yes and no in local circles but I’m asking the internets to opine on the topic. DD is a 11u left handed pitcher, throws pretty hard and can place her fastballs pretty well, does she have a special marketable softball skill when it comes to getting on a roster?

Found this on https://643charts.com/the-platoon-advantage-and-handedness-in-college-baseball-and-softball/

The effects mimic baseball, but somewhat less extreme.

There does appear to be some platoon advantage, and obviously the LHP has the platoon advantage more often than a RHP.

The OPS difference is only .020 against right handed batters in a lefty pitcher's favor, but the difference is almost 3x that against left-handed batters.

I don't know, I suspect not, for this to be anything super marketable, particularly as a starter. I could see, just in like in baseball, the benefit to having a LHP that you could bring in for an inning against some big lefties in the opposing lineup though.

Or perhaps there's a certain pitch selection that some lefties have that could make this more extreme. I'm not well versed in all the movements of pitches in softball yet, but something that's maybe breaks in on righties more?

Attachments

• LFSoftball.jpg
    LFSoftball.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 31
Sep 19, 2018
at 11U the fact that she can get outs, makes her marketable. Due to arm slots and pitch shapes, lefty righty advantages are much greater in big time College and MLB that they are in softball.

At this age, I don't believe that having a lefty on the roster makes that roster any better or different.

Dec 20, 2023
Found this on https://643charts.com/the-platoon-advantage-and-handedness-in-college-baseball-and-softball/

The effects mimic baseball, but somewhat less extreme.

There does appear to be some platoon advantage, and obviously the LHP has the platoon advantage more often than a RHP.

The OPS difference is only .020 against right handed batters in a lefty pitcher's favor, but the difference is almost 3x that against left-handed batters.

I don't know, I suspect not, for this to be anything super marketable, particularly as a starter. I could see, just in like in baseball, the benefit to having a LHP that you could bring in for an inning against some big lefties in the opposing lineup though.

Or perhaps there's a certain pitch selection that some lefties have that could make this more extreme. I'm not well versed in all the movements of pitches in softball yet, but something that's maybe breaks in on righties more?
This is interesting. My dd’s pitching coach says she will have a noticeable advantage attacking the plate from the left side, but again, I’ve never played softball myself, I was curious if there was a big difference for batters.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I do not think there is a significant advantage pitching lefty. Batters are a different story, lefty batters have an advantage over rightly.

I would not force either one in SB and would not teach anyone to be a switch hitter. A professional SB which every on here knows told me I might to rethink this so what do I know.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I think it would be an advantage to have lefty.
They usually think a little different than righties. Helps with DEI organizational standards too.

Jul 22, 2015
You will certainly hear different opinions, but I was surprised how little it seemed to matter to the girls I coached. In fact, more than once I heard girls comment that they "hadn't noticed" that a pitcher was left handed AFTER they faced her.
Where I have seen a lefty gain an advantage at higher levels is when they can dominate the inside part of the plate with a hard curveball.

Oct 2, 2015
My DD is a lefty. She doesn't throw hard (55 for HS). But she spots and moves the ball. A good curve ball is a real weapon for a lefty. You get a lot of pop ups from right handed batters (or long foul balls) and strikeouts looking on the outer corner against left handed batters. Throwing hard as a lefty is just as much of an advantage as for right handed pitchers, but you can be a really effective spins and spots pitcher as a lefty.

Jan 22, 2011
One of the excuses I’ve heard for not letting lefties play catcher is if they have a strong arm they should be pitching. I would think most teams would want at least one lefty pitcher. Pitching is the art of deception, and at least the first time or two through the batting order, a lefty pitcher would look different. Wouldn’t say there is a huge advantage, but since there are less lefties, might make it easier for your DD to find a spot on a team.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles