Outfielders

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
Say you could have one elite fielder and one below average fielder and you had to put one at SS and one in RF. What do you decide to do if your job depends on winning?

Say you could have one elite fielder and one below average fielder and you had to put one in CF and one at 1B. What do you decide to do if your job depends on winning?

:)

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2015
illinois
DD was def in the "stuck in the outfield" mindset at younger ages. She hated it. Would come off the field and cry after games because she though the coach "didn't like her" for sticking her out there. This was at 10u ages, where the ball rarely got out there, and an outfield may touch the ball a couple times a game at best. Fast forward a few years and DD loved being the center fielder. She took charge of the outfield, was great at tracking down balls, and had a good arm. Took a few years, but she finally agreed with Dad that outfield was very important. DD has played every position on the field over the years, except first base. Center fielder is still one of her favorite places to be. Our high school center fielder just graduated, so she may end up back out there her senior year. Not sure what coaches are thinking yet. (she has been second the last two years)

Dec 11, 2010
This took a weird turn.

Imho you rarely see really good outfielders.

When you see them, you know it. They stand out.

Approximately 0% of them are "recycled former shortstops" lol.

Elite outfielders change games unless you are hitting the ball over the fence.

And if you have an elite cf, you probably also have elite infielders. It's not either/or.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2012
PA
One of my coaches when I was younger used to tell us all the time "A bad infield will hurt you, but a bad outfield will kill you". As a 12 year old I would roll my eyes the older I got the more I realize how true it was. A ball gets by the IF its a single but a ball gets by the OF its extra bases, I find myself using the quote often now with the girls I coach now all the time.

Mar 28, 2013
Say you could have one elite fielder and one below average fielder and you had to put one at SS and one in RF. What do you decide to do if your job depends on winning?

Fantastic Question, well since I don't believe the DNA that makes a elite outfielder makes a great infielder I would put the right fielder at short because she could very well have better quick lateral movement, and quite possibly a quicker release on the short throw. and If I could change the question just a bit when it comes to winning then I would take my elite outfielder put them in left field instead of right and the pitch to my D. (inside corner righties, lefties on the outside ball outside) If they can beat me stringing together oppo hits then good on them. I would never take my best outfielder who call all the shifts, and is one of the field generals and put them in the infield so the can be average.

Jun 29, 2013
Say you could have one elite fielder and one below average fielder and you had to put one in CF and one at 1B. What do you decide to do if your job depends on winning?

Two very good questions. Assuming each is equally good at OF and IF, tell me who is your starting pitcher before I answer the first question. Can she dominate, to the point where hitters can't pull her? Will there be a lot of strike outs but also a few ground balls, particularly to the right side? If so, put the better player in the OF. She has to back up 1st and will likely have to field some sinking flys, SS won't get as much work.
For the second question: Again, tell me who the starting P is. If she is a flyball pitcher, then you need a good CF. If we're talking ground balls, put her at 1B.

OF and IF are completely different skill sets IMO (for that matter, 1B involves a totally different skill set than middle infield, and anyone who thinks you can get by at 1B by sticking the tallest player there even if she is mediocre at everything else will regret it) My brother was a college SS back in our day, but I was the better outfielder and it wasn't even close, even though I didn't start most of my time in HS. He didn't read flyballs as fast as I could nor could he break on them like I could. I couldn't handle sharply hit ground balls or throw from deep in the hole like he could. The OP is absolutely right that not every infielder can be turned into a good outfielder (looking at you, Hanley Ramirez).

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
"A bad infield will hurt you, but a bad outfield will kill you".

Sounds good, but is it true, or a cliche?

A misplayed grounder by an outfielder costs you a base, which sucks. But a misplayed grounder by an infielder costs you an out, which really sucks. Games are largely won and lost by the ability to get runners on base and keep runners off base. The infield has more say in who gets on and who doesn't than the outfield.

Was looking at stats from Florida and Georgia last season. Combined, their starting infielders made 62 errors. Their starting outfielders made 6 errors. That ratio is probably typical. So if your infield or outfield is 20 percent better or worse, where are you going to feel it most?

Mar 28, 2013
Sounds good, but is it true, or a cliche?

A misplayed grounder by an outfielder costs you a base, which sucks. But a misplayed grounder by an infielder costs you an out, which really sucks. Games are largely won and lost by the ability to get runners on base and keep runners off base. The infield has more say in who gets on and who doesn't than the outfield.

Was looking at stats from Florida and Georgia last season. Combined, their starting infielders made 62 errors. Their starting outfielders made 6 errors. That ratio is probably typical. So if your infield or outfield is 20 percent better or worse, where are you going to feel it most?

Pick off play first, or third, right fielder or left fielder to slow or not doing her job backing up the throw, ball gets by first baseman roll to the fence in foul territory that scores a run or more if there are base runners. not just a missed out, and that error goes to the infielder most likely. not to mention if the base coaches were paying attention the leads just got allot further. If the out field isn't shfting and in motion with every pitch they need coaching.

Feb 7, 2013

:)

I would put the elite player at 1B as it's highly likely they will touch the ball more (covering bunts, receiving throws from infielders, foul pop-ups, cut-off/relay person, fielding ground balls, involved in run-downs/pickles, etc.). With that said, if you have a pitching staff that induces a lot of fly balls, hits to the outfield you might have to adjust that strategy.

If I am drafting a team for defense, the following is the order of importance:

P
C
SS
1B
CF
3B
2B
LF
RF

*while all players are important on a team, some positions are more important. For example, having a dominate RF is not the same as having a dominant P.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
One of my coaches when I was younger used to tell us all the time "A bad infield will hurt you, but a bad outfield will kill you". As a 12 year old I would roll my eyes the older I got the more I realize how true it was. A ball gets by the IF its a single but a ball gets by the OF its extra bases, I find myself using the quote often now with the girls I coach now all the time.

There are more balls that could be turned into outs hit to infielders than outfielders though. Probably more balls, period, even at higher levels.

Outfield play is important. It's all important. It's just less important, and while a bad outfielder can absolutely cost you a game and we all can come up with scenarios where it has happened, it's less likely because an outfielder has fewer opportunities to screw everything up.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06