OU Vs UF WCWS Championship

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I wouldn't use either of those.

But if you have strike zone data, you can see which catchers get more pitches out of the zone called strikes and vice versa. There would be some noise with different umpires having different zones (and having umpire data would be great to have here), but knowing Catcher A leads NCAA catchers in framing certainly would be useful.

There is no reliable strike zone "data" at any level so when it is all said and done it is still based on subjective information. Becomes more opinion poll than objective stats. There far too many intangibles to try and quantify which catcher is better. Statistics are far more useful to those wearing pocket protectors as they drink a beer than those who actually make the decisions. :)

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
And it is "relatively" recent even at the MLB level and currently requires "pitch Fx" data which is likely not available for all but a very small sample of college games to even do the statistical analysis. So any analysis might have too small a sample to be statistically significant. At the MLB level they have thousands of pitches per catcher to do regression analysis on.

As with all technology, in time it will get cheaper and easier to implement. I think it's probably coming, but certainly not next year or anything.

The sample size issue is another one. I have no idea how much you'd have to regress the data to get something close to True Talent, but some of these catchers probably do catch a few thousand pitches per season, no?

Aug 5, 2015
I mean, no, it doesn't really. You'd have to be remarkably poor at receiving a pitch to affect every pitch. What you're saying is that every single called pitch is the opposite call of what it should be solely based on the catcher's receiving.

But if your argument is that defense matters that much (you could be right), you gotta back it up with data. Just saying it doesn't make it so. Quantify it. How much more valuable is the great defensive catcher? How many runs is she worth over the course of a season? (And, while we're at it, we shouldn't use the essentially worthless batting average stat to try to place a value on a hitter, either)
I'll have you know my DD is a combination Yadier Molina and Ivan Rodriguez, except she hits .050 with 1 HR in 900 ABs. Our coach is pure daddyball though, he mostly plays his fourth cousin twice removed who only batd .450 and gives up twice as many passed balls as my DD.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I'll have you know my DD is a combination Yadier Molina and Ivan Rodriguez, except she hits .050 with 1 HR in 900 ABs. Our coach is pure daddyball though, he mostly plays his fourth cousin twice removed who only batd .450 and gives up twice as many passed balls as my DD.

I am willing to be she is a bit more heads up on a delayed steal than Wheaton who OU just made look the fool. :)

Feb 14, 2014
Dd and I are super excited that Oklahoma won! Florida is the only SEC team I root against, thanks to Barnhill's incessant ip's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dec 11, 2010
Anybody else think of the Hillhouse post about not throwing riseballs when the game can be tied or won on a hr in late innings when Paige Parker shook off the c twice and threw a riseballs that went out when she was one pitch from a win...

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Anybody else think of the Hillhouse post about not throwing riseballs when the game can be tied or won on a hr in late innings when Paige Parker shook off the c twice and threw a riseballs that went out when she was one pitch from a win...

I recall Paige Parker shaking off the catcher twice on the pitch that the batter popped up. That ball should of been caught easily but the outfield was playing damn near on the warning track. The outfielder dove for the pop fly and came up a little short and Florida scored. Did Paige Parker shake off the catcher twice on a different pitch? Maybe I did not see Paige Parker shake off the pitch twice on a H.R.

I did think about what Hillhouse posted when the pop up happened.

Dec 11, 2010
So much happened in that game I could have it all wrong. In fact there is a good chance I do, lol!

I just remember thinking "that is the exact situation Bill was talking about"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug