Who do you have to win the WCWS(besides OU)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 9, 2021
I get tired of hearing the SEC bias on ESPN, especially in football and softball. If I watched other sports I'm sure it would be the same. I get that years ago (and probably still today) they had TV contracts that caused ESPN/ABC to pump the SEC. Whatever. Bottom line is they failed to perform this year for the WCWS. PAC12 dominated the spots with their "lessor" teams.

I have not picked my final bracket yet...hard to go against OK for the win...but that is what will make all the underdogs/tiebreakers more fun. FWIW I picked NW and Oregon State to make it this far.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I guess the best story in the WCWS is Northwestern. The Big Ten has been declining in softball prominence, and there's no reason to expect Northwestern to have a top-10 team. I know they had a couple of good teams 15 years ago, and Chicago neighbor DePaul was really good around the turn of the century. I thought that area's glory days were long gone, given way to the Sun Belt and the rise of the SEC and now the ACC. Guess not. Good for NU.

UIC made regionals last year. Northwestern made regionals in 2019. UIC and DePaul both made regionals in 2018. The Chicago area (and if you want to include Notre Dame, I guess you can, but I wouldn't) does seem to get a team or two most years in recent memory.

Feb 20, 2020
My Beloved Gators are hitting for a change. They are a very good defensive team, and Skylar Wallace is a beast. OU will kill us, and it wouldn't surprise me to see us go 0-2, but I think they'll win a couple this time and be playing on Saturday.

As for the rest of the SEC, I was surprised to see Arky fall, but Texas is -- like they are in every damn sport -- very talented and inconsistent, and when they actually care about the result they can be hard to beat in anything. Must be the night life in Austin or something. Bama had stuff going on internally this year. Mizzou is Mizzou -- this is what they do.

DD is going to OU next year -- not for softball, just because she fell in love with the place -- so we're hoping for a matchup at some point. Or she is. I sorta know what that outcome will be.

Feb 20, 2020
Right now it looks like nursing, but she's 18, so who knows? I think she mostly wanted to be a part of something. And the tour guide made the best pitch I've ever heard "Do you want to go to class, or do you want to go to college?" She decided she wanted to go to college. Now every other phrase is "Boomer Sooner!"

I never thought she'd end up there, but you've only got one chance in your life to be an 18-year-old freshman at one of those big, state schools with rabid fanbases and overpowering culture. And if you want that, OU's about as good as you can find.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019
I get tired of hearing the SEC bias on ESPN, especially in football and softball. If I watched other sports I'm sure it would be the same. I get that years ago (and probably still today) they had TV contracts that caused ESPN/ABC to pump the SEC. Whatever. Bottom line is they failed to perform this year for the WCWS. PAC12 dominated the spots with their "lessor" teams.

I have not picked my final bracket yet...hard to go against OK for the win...but that is what will make all the underdogs/tiebreakers more fun. FWIW I picked NW and Oregon State to make it this far.
you’re right, oregon state is a lesser team. go gators.

Aug 9, 2021
you’re right, oregon state is a lesser team. go gators.
Feel better now? Your confidence is oozing since you waited until after the game to post. (y) Are you calling a SEC/Gator championship now or will you wait and boast afterwards if it happens? :ROFLMAO:

Oct 14, 2019

you’re right, oregon state is a lesser team. i is gators.
Feel better now? Your confidence is oozing since you waited until after the game to post. (y) Are you calling a SEC/Gator championship now or will you wait and boast afterwards if it happens? :ROFLMAO:
Go Gators.

Oct 14, 2019
i heard that ucla looked ordinary also. go gators.