OU Vs UF WCWS Championship

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
...IME when trying to maximize the effectiveness of a multi-pitcher and two-catcher rotation, the better catcher usually gets paired with the wilder/more difficult to catch pitchers so the metrics can be misleading

Yes, but when the strike ratio is 10% higher across all pitchers with Catcher A versus Catcher B, it is obvious what is happening or not happening.

FWIW - The same metric is applicable to umpires. :)

Aug 5, 2015
Unless we are taking 10-14U if you cannot throw to 2nd and keep the run from scoring you are not a top team.
I'm talking top college teams, and the majority of the time there's either no throw, a throw to 3rd, or a throw to an infielder cutting in front of 2nd.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I'm talking top college teams, and the majority of the time there's either no throw, a throw to 3rd, or a throw to an infielder cutting in front of 2nd.

I think you have top college confused with HS or TB. I saw very little defensive indifference in the SEC. That is not how the game is played.

Jun 8, 2016
If that was an MLB game there would have been position players pitching last night. All the match-up pitching changes would have pushed that game over 7 hours!

Only if it was a regular season game..no way a MLB manager uses a position player to pitch in a playoff game..unless that position player is named Babe Ruth..:p

Jan 22, 2009
South Jersey
Only if it was a regular season game..no way a MLB manager uses a position player to pitch in a playoff game..unless that position player is named Babe Ruth..:p

Almost true, it did happen in 2015 for Toronto. But I see your point. They would use up starters (except for the next day if needed) and relievers first but they also carry 12 pitchers.

I am always surprised to see how many softball players "can pitch" as opposed to being pitchers. Speaks to the versatility needed to play the game at a high level.

Jun 8, 2016
Almost true, it did happen in 2015 for Toronto. But I see your point. They would use up starters (except for the next day if needed) and relievers first but they also carry 12 pitchers.

I am always surprised to see how many softball players "can pitch" as opposed to being pitchers. Speaks to the versatility needed to play the game at a high level.

I forgot about that game!!

Jun 8, 2016

At the highest level of softball, and baseball for that matter, many of the players would have pitched at some point in their lives because they were the best athletes with the best arms. Similar to how many
of major leaguers probably played SS up to a certain point in their careers.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
In the WCWS back in maybe 2009, Taylor Shlopy came in from CF to pitch an inning or two and then went back to the OF for the rest of the game.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414