OU Vs UF WCWS Championship

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The sad part is that maybe 25% of the viewership truly appreciated that 17 inning, 5+ hour battle. For many it was too long, with not enough action. One of the best games ever.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
People ask about who is going to pitch and worrying about how many times the umpire had to crouch. I'm wondering WHO is going to catch for either team. I believe both catchers went the full game.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Is there anyone in the game, at any level, who throws faster than Lowary? That heat is pretty damned impressive. I was also very impressed with Gourley's change-up. This was the first time I've seen her pitch. Barnhill's leap and re-plant irritates me to the point that my favor is tipped towards OU to win it all.

I strongly dislike the way UF's catcher, Janell Wheaton, pulls her right knee down and in. Very frequently it leaves her in a very awkward mitt position on movement pitches, which leaves her highly vulnerable to passed balls. She's not anywhere near the receiver that Aubree Munro is. OU's catcher, Lea Wodach, over-frames on a lot of pitches near the edge of the zone, and (IMO) is losing strike calls for her pitchers.

All that said, it was a spectacular game with a ton of dramatic moments. I hope we get more of the same tonight.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Is there anyone in the game, at any level, who throws faster than Lowary? That heat is pretty damned impressive. I was also very impressed with Gourley's change-up. This was the first time I've seen her pitch. Barnhill's leap and re-plant irritates me to the point that my favor is tipped towards OU to win it all.

I strongly dislike the way UF's catcher, Janell Wheaton, pulls her right knee down and in. Very frequently it leaves her in a very awkward mitt position on movement pitches, which leaves her highly vulnerable to passed balls. She's not anywhere near the receiver that Aubree Munro is. OU's catcher, Lea Wodach, over-frames on a lot of pitches near the edge of the zone, and (IMO) is losing strike calls for her pitchers.

All that said, it was a spectacular game with a ton of dramatic moments. I hope we get more of the same tonight.

Even though she could not hit Munro was behind the plate because she could catch. Wheaton is there for her stick, certainly not because she can catch.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Even though she could not hit Munro was behind the plate because she could catch. Wheaton is there for her stick, certainly not because she can catch.

Agreed. Munro's contribution to the team's defense was undeniable. Best defensive catcher of her era, IMO. Wheaton's receiving mechanics make we wonder if anyone is paying attention. Someone please fix her!

Jul 5, 2016
The sad part is that maybe 25% of the viewership truly appreciated that 17 inning, 5+ hour battle. For many it was too long, with not enough action. One of the best games ever.

While I think we all have a bit of a softball bias, I was disappointed that this game has not received more attention on the main news websites. This was a bigger deal that the high school pitcher in NJ striking out 21/21. It really was something extraordinary. The level of play was good throughout the game. Oklahoma fielded outs for 51/65 batters with two non-scoring errors and Florida fielded outs for 41/67 batters with no errors. That is quality play by any possible standard.

Nov 18, 2015
OU's catcher, Lea Wodach, over-frames on a lot of pitches near the edge of the zone, and (IMO) is losing strike calls for her pitchers.

Been meaning to ask this for a few weeks: This seems to be a softball-only thing (admittedly - haven't watched much of the CWS this year), and I've seen it in at least one catching instructional video (youtube, from a NJ instructor, no idea if it's part of NECC teachings or not). And I saw Wodach do this a few times last night. I think it occurs more often on what would be an outside pitch to a RHB, with a RHT C. The "presentation" of the C has the glove-arm appear to be locked straight out, and the C is bent/leaning sideways - as if she's trying to tilt her head to match the tilt of her glove. (My description is not doing it justice!). I know they don't have a lot of time to fully shift and get behind the ball - it's just the "tilt", and ensuing holding/presentation of the ball from that position, seems exaggerated, and isn't something I see in MLB, or baseball in general. Wondering if it's a coaching thing? Perspective due to field dimensions?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Agreed. Munro's contribution to the team's defense was undeniable. Best defensive catcher of her era, IMO. Wheaton's receiving mechanics make we wonder if anyone is paying attention. Someone please fix her!

Wheaton is not alone - the majority I've seen during this year's televised coverage on espn/espn2 are over framing or "pulling" rather than receiving and it makes me believe that many of these top college coaches do not understand the value of a fundamentally sound catcher. How big a difference would have an additional handful of strikes made over 17 innings last night???

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Lots of good looking pitches not called as strikes. At several points, I thought the plate umpire's strike zone was the size of a donut hole.

For once, there wasn't a blown call in the field. I've seen clear foul balls called fair at least twice, runners going WAY out of the basepath to avoid a tag and called safe, and a phantom obstruction call. I know the college rules are a bit more permissive, but I've seen other instances where obstruction could (and probably should) have been called and wasn't.

Last night was a great game. The mental strength of the players on both sides is phenomenal.

Yep. In the later innings the blue was calling a very tight strike zone. He wanted people on base so the game would end. And then in the bottom of the last inning with UoF at bat the strike zone was hula hoop sized.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
Wow. What an incredible game. Great play by both sides. As Riseball said above, I dont think non softball people can truly appreciate the level of play for 17 innings that both teams maintained. No way I was going to bed till that one was over. DD had a friend over that plays, and as she walked in the door first thing I told her was "don't tell me how it ended" I was watching on DVR delayed an hour so I could fast forward through commercials. When she said "it's not over" I thought she was messing with me lol.

Couple more points mentioned above....Agreed, low strike at the knees that look like great pitches were not getting called. Several of pitches on outside of plate, or in the river that looked good on initial watch, and even better on slow replay that were called balls.

And Eric nailed it ref OU catcher. She is way way way trying to oversell close pitches. The yanking in motion is one thing, but she is yanking in very obviously and then trying to hold it in place thinking Blue is going to change his mind.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish