Opinions on attacking the lead elbow

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 10, 2009
How does that apply any type of force?

Resistance? IDK, I see it more than I feel it, so how do you teach it?

Can you look at the Tyson video in quicktime? Frames 10-15, forward momentum, back elbow down, front elbow forward, hands come forward some. There has to be some pressure in the hands, I dont feel it or think about it.

The separation doesnt cause the force, I should have said the separation allows for a greater force. MTS drill is starting without that force, its going to be different if you slot the elbow with a running start, so to speak, with momentum. Which might be the point, slow it down to where you can feel the hands doing something. But that is where we dont agree. To me, the feel, "turning the barrel" is what you see in frames 10-15, its a feel of resistance or winding up, getting the arms in position to unwind. The hands are moving the barrel as a result of getting the elbows in position, besides that they are just resisting momentum so they dont fly out of position.

You could say "stay strong on the backside", that works for me. That might be a better way to describe creating the force, sync the hand to the shoulder and keep the hands back, to communicate getting more force through separation. I still dont want to think about the hands, not yet, they just do what they have to do for the elbows and arms to get into connection in the right position.

T

theaddition

Resistance? IDK, I see it more than I feel it, so how do you teach it?

Can you look at the Tyson video in quicktime? Frames 10-15, forward momentum, back elbow down, front elbow forward, hands come forward some. There has to be some pressure in the hands, I dont feel it or think about it.

The separation doesnt cause the force, I should have said the separation allows for a greater force. MTS drill is starting without that force, its going to be different if you slot the elbow with a running start, so to speak, with momentum. Which might be the point, slow it down to where you can feel the hands doing something. But that is where we dont agree. To me, the feel, "turning the barrel" is what you see in frames 10-15, its a feel of resistance or winding up, getting the arms in position to unwind. The hands are moving the barrel as a result of getting the elbows in position, besides that they are just resisting momentum so they dont fly out of position.

You could say "stay strong on the backside", that works for me. That might be a better way to describe creating the force, sync the hand to the shoulder and keep the hands back, to communicate getting more force through separation. I still dont want to think about the hands, not yet, they just do what they have to do for the elbows and arms to get into connection in the right position.

I find that telling young hitters to keep their hands back is easier said than done.
In fact, IMO, it is the most difficult thing to teach a young hitter. By far.
One battle I fight with kids is actually with their parents or other coaches.
That is, most tell their hitters to tone down the pre-swing movement.
This in most cases leads to the young hitter separating when they load the backside rather than
during the stride/weight shift forward.
Separating the with the load most always leads to the hands coming forward with the stride/weight shift. And in most cases, the back elbow tucks down during the stride/weight shift.
What do Bustos, Cochran, Flores, Yee, during this phase of the swing?
They are all different.
IMO the key to keeping the hands back and getting separation what is done during the backside load.
Coaches shouldn't cookie cutter young hitters as they load/stride (weight shift).

BD

So let get this straight, after 13 pages nobody can agree what the front elbow is suppose to do? No wonder there are so many screwed up swings out there. Good luck I hope that you will be able to come to common ground, It get's really tiring reading about who's better than who depending on what day it is. Come on people. Have a Merry Christmas

Oct 25, 2009
So let get this straight, after 13 pages nobody can agree what the front elbow is suppose to do? No wonder there are so many screwed up swings out there. Good luck I hope that you will be able to come to common ground, It get's really tiring reading about who's better than who depending on what day it is. Come on people. Have a Merry Christmas

Well, what is your answer?

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
kls hitting academy says-
Go for the meat...spit out the bones. There is a lot of excellent information within this thread. This is what an online forum is. There is usually a video posted or a comment made that is really helpful...sometimes an epiphany that will change the way you approach or understand things. Other times the threads serve to reinforce what you are doing. Sift through the 13 pages. There is a lot of good stuff.

R

RayR

KLS - I will go first to try and summarize my approach.

If you think about getting the barrel to the ball the bat tip path should resemble this

nike-705.jpg

The front elbow will work up if you:

1) Keep the barrel above the hands (no barrel dumping)
2) Set up the barrel launch by turning the lower body to the target
3) Create a pivot point between the hands and start turning the barrel behind you to keep up with the lower body

For #1 do this

CaitlinBenji2005UCLA_SView.gif

And not this

ibxn4p.gif

Once you figure out #1 - the rest is easy...

R

RayR

For #2

2) Set up the barrel launch by turning the lower body to the target

This gets tricky. Most girls want to rotate their front hip back and usually before the front foot lands. So, they end up pulling off and never getting a weight shift forward. Basically a spin move

If you throw a bat (helicopter drill) you should be throwing with your rear upper leg. The front foot lands and the front leg allows the rear leg to move forward.

You get this kind of look - the rear leg is throwing the barrel

CrystalBustos_Olympics.gif

and not this where the front leg straightens too early because the hips are trying to rotate too early and weight is never shifted forward. The rear leg is not throwing the barrel. The sequence is out of whack even with a better barrel position.

noshift.gif

More like this guy

throwclub.gif

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00