Opinions on attacking the lead elbow

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

You keep beating this drum. I demonstrated how you turn and turn. The swing is being powered by the core. Here is a lower effort unload swing. The thought that works is TURN/TURN as in turn your hips/legs and you turn the barrel into contact. The sequence is clean and feels effortless.

The trouble with trying to teach someone to power the swing with the core is that it feels too hard because their hands are not helping. You are trying to drag the bat around using the core and that is not what happens in a good swing.

RRbarrelturn2.gif

My concern with the phrase that the hands turn the barrel is that it's quite possible, and very common, for younger hitters to swing entirely with their arms and hands and not swing with their body (e.g. hips and core) at all.

Sep 17, 2009
Looks like fun MTS. Agree ... a little more use of the hands earlier on and the drag we see should be on its way out.

I've been using the rubber inserts of the rubber tees to do this drill. Have you had any of your kids experiencing an issue with the knob catching on their bottom hand?

If you've got cheap bats you can just cut the knobs, wood is obviously easier with metal you'd probably want to duct tape the cut edge....DD worked with a coach who had a group of no-knob bats just for this.... one more set of equipment for your facility or to carry around : >

Sep 10, 2009
You keep beating this drum. I demonstrated how you turn and turn. The swing is being powered by the core. Here is a lower effort unload swing. The thought that works is TURN/TURN as in turn your hips/legs and you turn the barrel into contact. The sequence is clean and feels effortless.

The trouble with trying to teach someone to power the swing with the core is that it feels too hard because their hands are not helping. You are trying to drag the bat around using the core and that is not what happens in a good swing.

Your demo looks like an arm swing, no separation (hands), no bat lag, but good for showing where the arms and elbows need to be for the hands to release. Maybe it works for your students when they apply this drill to a core driven swing that you teach them with other drills. And apply some centripetal force what will happen? If I'm using the right word, in the Tyson video you mention frame (or click) 15, frames 10-15 is what I'm talking about, force generated by the hands not moving, results in the barrel moving. Its nothing close to what you do with the hands, but apply that force to what your teaching, something might click.

Not a fair comparison because you are doing an upper body drill, but this is what I see when coaches start focusing on the hands, swings looking like your drill, rotate and throw the hands but not core driven.

Last edited:
R

RayR

lag..jpglag1..jpglag2..jpgWhat is your definition of lag?

Your demo looks like an arm swing, no separation (hands), no bat lag, but good for showing where the arms and elbows need to be for the hands to release. Maybe it works for your students when they apply this drill to a core driven swing that you teach them with other drills. And apply some centripetal force what will happen? If I'm using the right word, in the Tyson video you mention frame (or click) 15, frames 10-15 is what I'm talking about, force generated by the hands not moving, results in the barrel moving. Its nothing close to what you do with the hands, but apply that force to what your teaching, something might click.

Not a fair comparison because you are doing an upper body drill, but this is what I see when coaches start focusing on the hands, swings looking like your drill, rotate and throw the hands but not core driven.

Sep 10, 2009
21 clicks on Tyson. The chin comes down some in the same frame, likes thats really where she is feeling or applying the power. I would say your lead shoulder has opened too much in the last shot, its close, but dont think you really get there. Do you think Tyson lead shoulder opens up a lot more after lag than yours does?

What is lag is a good question. I use it in video as a check, until now never thought a lack of it as too much hands pushing shoulders.

R

RayR

Red, I think that pitch height has a lot do with it. Hard to compare my swing and hers on this front.

As far as lag - my hips are turning ahead of the shoulders. My hands have stayed near the rear shoulder (so they are also behind the rotation of the hips). When they sync up you have the addition that Slaught talks about. Contact..jpg

Sequential unloading. But, make no mistake about it - I am turning the bat in my hands to get the barrel around.

I never claimed this is easy to perform. It takes some reps to get the timing down. You need to land/turn/turn. Or recognize an offspeed pitch and land and then turn/turn. It takes a lot of practice and takes patience to understand that most girls don't turn well and have trouble handling the weight of a bat.

Jul 14, 2008
Haven't played much the last couple of years (bulging disc), but I plan on playing next spring. Why you ask?

I ask because the axis of your rotation in the heli-drill is your rear arm pit...............The axis of the young lady posted here doing the heli-drill is the front shoulder......

Like Tiger here.......Everything you do in the swing supports rear arm pit axis............Your shoulders and body positions serve to support your goal.......Rear arm pit axis..........

2lcwflw.gif

The young lady would do well to change the axis to the rear arm pit in the heli-drill........Her body with then support that goal.........Lateral tilt and the like.........

Just sayin........Thought you might play golf........

R

RayR

BM - yes - that's what I see as a difference - first time for her - needs to turn the barrel quicker instead of letting the shoulders pull the hands forward. I like your queue of creating a rear shoulder pivot point. Will use that next time with her.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog