Opinions on attacking the lead elbow

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MendozaBusta

!%$^&@#*^
Sep 24, 2009
How about discussing this in terms of one of the clips I posted.

That might help people understand what you are talking about.

Watch the swing from MTS. Draw a line from the pivot between his hands to the middle of his body - roughly the sternum. Observe how that line relates to the barrel. Observe the changes in angle between that lever and the lever of the bat.

Oct 12, 2009
Watch the swing from MTS. Draw a line from the pivot between his hands to the middle of his body - roughly the sternum. Observe how that line relates to the barrel. Observe the changes in angle between that lever and the lever of the bat.

This is the worst possible angle for demonstrating this.

Here's a better angle that shows Pujols setting, holding, and then releasing the hinge angle.

V_H_HD_BB_Public_AlbertPujols_1BH_FB_ToLFC_10-001_LowerBody_60FPS_01-35_SF.gif

MendozaBusta

!%$^&@#*^
Sep 24, 2009
This is the worst possible angle for demonstrating this.

Here's a better angle that shows Pujols setting, holding, and then releasing the hinge angle.

What is the "worst possible angle for demonstrating this"? I'm not sure you took grasp of my post. Perhaps the information was lost in conveyance. Is there a way to make it more clear? A specific question that we can use as a knowledge seed?

Oct 12, 2009
What is the "worst possible angle for demonstrating this"? I'm not sure you took grasp of my post. Perhaps the information was lost in conveyance. Is there a way to make it more clear? A specific question that we can use as a knowledge seed?

Using this clip...

How is Pujols not holding the hinge angle for the first 1/2 to 2/3 of the swing and then releasing the bat head?

P.S. I'm sorry this is a baseball clip, but I can't get this angle in a softball stadium because I can't get high enough. However, Mizzou does have a high camera position and I'm trying to get some clips from there.

R

RayR

Here is my student from tonight. Never threw a bat before. I can tell you that the sequence is so much better (didn't really have a sequence). Not a perfect rendition of the drill, but she is getting there. The front elbow is tracking as it should without having to think about it.

Still using the shoulders too much and not turning the barrel early enough. This is what holding the hinge angle will get you. But, she is getting there.

Jul 14, 2008
Here is my student from tonight. Never threw a bat before. I can tell you that the sequence is so much better (didn't really have a sequence). Not a perfect rendition of the drill, but she is getting there. The front elbow is tracking as it should without having to think about it.

Still using the shoulders too much and not turning the barrel early enough. This is what holding the hinge angle will get you. But, she is getting there.

MTS.......Do you play golf?

MendozaBusta

!%$^&@#*^
Sep 24, 2009
Using this clip...

How is Pujols not holding the hinge angle for the first 1/2 to 2/3 of the swing and then releasing the bat head?

P.S. I'm sorry this is a baseball clip, but I can't get this angle in a softball stadium because I can't get high enough. However, Mizzou does have a high camera position and I'm trying to get some clips from there.

Clips from these angles are perfectly fine for showing the relation between levers that I've described. I have in fact described something different than you are intending to show. My description was within the context of force, physics and the laws of nature. The wording of "setting, holding, and releasing" is at best poorly descriptive within a context of the athletes bio-motor intention at this point in the swing. Either softball or baseball swings will do.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Looks like fun MTS. Agree ... a little more use of the hands earlier on and the drag we see should be on its way out.

I've been using the rubber inserts of the rubber tees to do this drill. Have you had any of your kids experiencing an issue with the knob catching on their bottom hand?

R

RayR

If she is having a problem with the knob it is because she is releasing too late. Her release is at extension and should be right after contact. Rubber tees? No - I want some weight to the object we are throwing.

Looks like fun MTS. Agree ... a little more use of the hands earlier on and the drag we see should be on its way out.

I've been using the rubber inserts of the rubber tees to do this drill. Have you had any of your kids experiencing an issue with the knob catching on their bottom hand?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207