O'Leary, Cshilt,Wellphyt,FiveFrameSwing, other hitting "experts"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question - However, I have been using Candrea's TEAM USA Hitting Video as the benchmark for swing instruction (nuetral position, 45degrees, knees inside feet, negative move, toe touch, heel plant, etc. . . ). Basically, I've been instructing to hit against the front side with a little more weight to the back side-with some success at some fairly high levels, I might add. The success may have been in spite of my instruction and not because of it, though. I understand separation between hips and hands, I understand staying inside the ball, level through zone, palm up palm down, finish high.
What I'm hearing and seeing from other coaches and (one of my DDs just started with a new team that has former D1 players as coaches) and on this forum is that the all else remains similar except that forward momentum is paramount and the hitter finishes with a little more weight to the front side? Am I close?

A pure rotational swing when taught correctly does not leave you leaning badly backwards. Epstein actually states in one of his hitting articles that keeping too much weight on the backside during the swing is bad because it imparts a too-steep of a gradient causing the hitter to swing up too much. The flip side is that if a hitter gets too much weight forward then they are at risk of lunging.

IMO, hitters should hit from a balanced position. Epstein actually stresses this point over and over again in his material. I have been taking swings using this approach and find it helpful. I am now stressing this point with my daughter by having her stop her swing at what Epstein calls the Torque Position or what others call the Bat Lag Position. IMO, if a hitter can get to this position balanced and on time, they are in a really strong position to hit the ball.

Aug 16, 2010
Maybe my terminology is flawed - "level through zone" = on plane with pitch as much as possible or long through zone. Finish high = release/turn over after contact. I don't really have complete understanding of weight shift forward. Can I safely say that the Candrea/USA video is not what he's teaching now?

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Chris sez-
All of these are at least problematic if not plain old bad advice.

Chris,
It would be nice on the forum if you would occassionally take a few moments and explain in a few sentences what is right and some "how to's". It may just be a matter of you not having the time but most often recently I simply see you throwing out a one sentence reply questioning someone elses suggestions or saying why something is bad or wrong with a one sentence stinger. I've been to your site before and you have some good stuff. Occassionally let us know in a little detail what is the positive response to the forum prompt and give a little explaination and video.

Oct 12, 2009
It would be nice on the forum if you would occassionally take a few moments and explain in a few sentences what is right and some "how to's". It may just be a matter of you not having the time but most often recently I simply see you throwing out a one sentence reply questioning someone elses suggestions or saying why something is bad or wrong with a one sentence stinger. I've been to your site before and you have some good stuff. Occassionally let us know in a little detail what is the positive response to the forum prompt and give a little explaination and video.

Sory, but I don't always have time for a full reply.

hit against the front side with a little more weight to the back side-with...level through zone...finish high.

Hitting against the front side is a good idea, but you don't want to keep your weight on your back side. Most to all of your weight should transfer to your front side (but still be over your back side).

Level through the zone is generally just an attempt by proponents of the level (to the ground) swing to cover their tracks. It's much better to say that the plane of the swing should match the plane of the pitch.

Finish high is terrible advice and can yield some really bizarre results. The truth is that the finish depends on the height of the pitch. The finish will be high for low pitches, but more flat and around for high pitches.

T

theaddition

What you call the Torque Position, I call the Launch Position. By heal plant the hands are at around the back armpit area.

Bat lag is actually this...

View attachment 697
What happens at the launch position?
Is that the point in the swing where the hitter attacks the ball?

BD

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
What you call the Torque Position, I call the Launch Position. By heal plant the hands are at around the back armpit area.

Bat lag is actually this...

View attachment 697

I like and use the term launch position as well. I try and steer clear of using the term "bat lag position" because people seem to have different views on precisely when it occurs. I agree that your Pujols clip shows a hitter at "bat lag".

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse