O'Leary, Cshilt,Wellphyt,FiveFrameSwing, other hitting "experts"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2008
Would this fall under that category?

Pretty close. If your weight is centered over the back foot you could stand on one leg indefinitely.

Look closely at the shoe as he gets to "coil". Do you see the subtle shift? To me it looks as if the weight is no longer on the inside edge of the foot (eversion) and weight is now equally distributed across the toes. Go back to the one-inch punch video and look how Lee is driving off of the back foot using the inside edge of his foot. I think that you have greater power potential if you drive off of the inside edge of the back foot.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Pretty close. If your weight is centered over the back foot you could stand on one leg indefinitely.

Look closely at the shoe as he gets to "coil". Do you see the subtle shift? To me it looks as if the weight is no longer on the inside edge of the foot (eversion) and weight is now equally distributed across the toes. Go back to the one-inch punch video and look how Lee is driving off of the back foot using the inside edge of his foot. I think that you have greater power potential if you drive off of the inside edge of the back foot.

I have heard the statement that batter should be "driving off" the big toe of the right foot (for RHB). Agree?

May 13, 2008
I have heard the statement that batter should be "driving off" the big toe of the right foot (for RHB). Agree?

Yes, that is why I feel it is important to keep the weight on the inside edge. If the weight is even or worse one is more likely to squish the bug.

Power Line

powerlineconsulting.net
Nov 19, 2010
San Diego, CA
Calling all softball hitting experts

I love this thread and all the detail you are discussing softball hitting form!!! Personally, after coaching college ball for 13 years, I can say that my "style" has adjusted and adapted year to year depending on the athletes I was fortunate to work with, the technology I had available, and the level of overall athleticism i was coaching. Obviously there have been consistent fundamentals, but my teaching, tools, and drills have expanded over the years.

I enjoy using the Right View Pro system in my athlete development facility in San Diego. It gives me a way to show the athletes each phase of the swing and to compare them to Olympic or Pro Softball players. Although we have tremendous access to consistent teaching programs now, I still see so much bad instruction on the fields.

Hopefully with your continued excellent discussion we can lead the softball community in teaching the correct techniques (those used by our National teams and top college programs).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55