New Coach - will welcome any advice. Working on letter to parents.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
I second (third or fourth) the notion to get to know parents before inviting any of them onto the field. Many mean well, and want to be involved, but may do more harm instructing poor fundamentals. Watch if some of the girls stay around after practice and the dads/moms get out there and play catch with them. You should be able to tell pretty quick which ones are athletic and may be able to help, and which ones have never had a glove on their hand before.

Jan 20, 2015
Indiana
One issue I always address at the first practice or before is parent / coach "discussions" and when they take place. I tell our parents that before a game and right after a game is not the time. Before a game we are preparing and after the game, depending on the outcome you will be dealing with alot of different issues all at once. Not a good time to discuss why little Janey isnt playing infield and hitting leadoff. Ive seen that go really bad really quickly right after a game so we just dont do it. If a parent wants to have that type of discussion we can do so before or after practice on the phone etc. Toughest part of coaching is coaching the parents,,,,its easy to coach the kids !!!! Its even fun !! All the other stuff is what makes it more difficult. Good luck, and have fun

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
In my experience with Rec league's the more you communicate with the parents the better. There is usually a lot of politics and sometimes drama and from what I've seen coaches with a strong presence and good communication skills helps keep all that to a minimum and most importantly off the field. Good luck in your season, wins and losses do not determine a successful season. It's how many girls come back to play with YOU.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
Couple of helpful rules:
1. to the players: When coaches talk.....the players should not be. I make this statement up front to them so they know what is expected. They are old enough to understand respect. I expect eye contact if we are not in the process of actually doing an activity.

2. Parents are to try there very best and refrain from speaking about the game during the ride home - unless the player brings it up

3. Parents need to limit their "during game" conversations with the players. The friendly reminders end up putting added pressure that was not intended.

4. Parents make great ball shaggers, bathroom trip monitors and ice pack/first aid helpers. That help is always appreciated.

May 4, 2014
So Cal
I think the letter is a great start and the feedback is good BUT I dont agree with keeping parents away from helping. I think you should invite ALL parents that want to help to help be it on the field or off the field. Will you get the crazy parents? yes you will and they need as much coaching as the kids. The ONE rule you need to set is that you are the manager and its your rules and your instruction.

I rather have that parent that is eager to help and giving batting pointers with "chicken wings" and "elbows up" in the field with me so I can correct him/her than in the bleachers screaming instructions to the kid... its not travel ball so its not like you can kick a kid off the field because Joe Shmuck decided he wasnt going to listen to you ... at least if he is helping in field he knows he has something to lose if he misbehaves (the priviledge to help you and the kids)

Make sure you understand the rules of your league prior to allowing parents to help out. Our league for example requires background checks on anyone that steps on the dirt (game or practice) and its strictly enforced.

Last edited by a moderator:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I think you should invite ALL parents that want to help to help be it on the field or off the field.

Of course, you can let parents help you off the field--bringing oranges after the game, scheduling pizza parties, etc. Fine.

Letting them help on the field is a completely different issue.

May 6, 2015
Also, I put in a note about if they have concerns about playing time or positions, to contact me via phone or email away from practices/games. helps to avoid headaches

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles