Offer after first tyout normal?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2011
I'm not saying that my DD didn't earn a spot on a team or that the coach wanted to offer a spot before the end of the tryouts were finished, but to walk over to me and tell me in front of all the other parents was disrespectful of the other players/parents. We have all seen players that we would offer spots to right away, but you need to do so respectfully.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
You said nothing in your original post about the coach making the offer to you in front of the other parents - but even so, how is it disrespectful of the other players/parents? When did being direct and to the point become overtly offensive (assuming there were no histrionics or profanity)? Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
We have a team here that uses the Number system to notify the kids on their website.

1, 4, 6, 7, 19 you have been accepted. 2, 3, 5, 10, 11 we'd like to see you again. 8,9...thanks and good luck finding a team.

I heard they had 50 kids for the tryout and I know they have multiple raters (coaches) and an independent or two and then compare scores.

DD was offered a spot last fall after one tryout. We try to narrow down our number one team and go there first so I don't have to string along other teams waiting to hear. I usually observe the team at tourneys and do homework prior to going to the workout.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I'm not saying that my DD didn't earn a spot on a team or that the coach wanted to offer a spot before the end of the tryouts were finished, but to walk over to me and tell me in front of all the other parents was disrespectful of the other players/parents. We have all seen players that we would offer spots to right away, but you need to do so respectfully.

That you didn't say in the original post.

Yes, absolutely you make your offers/passes in private.

We actually have a list of other coaches/tryouts/ideas we give to players we don't offer spots to. Often I have called another coach directly to recommend someone when I don't have room for a player we actually quite liked.

Nov 29, 2009
We thought it was a bit premature to offer a spot in the middle of a tryout.

And why would you think that. You can usually tell within a short time of watching a player if you feel they are a good fit for your team. I have done it. Nothing unusual at all about it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877