Offer after first tyout normal?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
I see a lot of tryouts posted places, and a lot of them recommend going to all their tryout dates. We noticed on Facebook several girls that we know were offered spots right after the tryout. Is that normal so they can grab them before someone else does even though they will have a later tryout session?

Yes, this is normal. The teams want to try get the girls who they think are the best before aoneone else gets them. When my daughter was accepted on a team it was after the 1st tryout but she continued with their tryouts as practice. This way she could see if the team was a right fit for her.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD was offered a spot at the end of one tryout but before that I had asked one of the coaches to watch her when we played them at a tournament. DD hit two bases loaded triples and a single to RF. Not hard to remember that kid.

Oct 10, 2011
Thanks. She has her first tryout this year for softball tomorrow, but will miss their second tryout. Maybe they'll say something before we leave because she's stressed about missing the second one.

Oct 10, 2011
DD was offered a spot at the end of one tryout but before that I had asked one of the coaches to watch her when we played them at a tournament. DD hit two bases loaded triples and a single to RF. Not hard to remember that kid.
That's a pretty good way to make a team!

Nov 14, 2011
My DD was offered a spot during a tryout for the past two years. Last year it was in the middle of the tryout and the head coach watched my DD pitch and offered her a spot before she batted or did fielding work. This year we attended a private tryout and the coach offered us a spot the next morning before we attended the regular "team" tryout. BTW - we didn't accept either position. We thought it was a bit premature to offer a spot in the middle of a tryout.

Apr 6, 2012
Thanks. She has her first tryout this year for softball tomorrow, but will miss their second tryout. Maybe they'll say something before we leave because she's stressed about missing the second one.

Tell her to relax and do the best she can. The one thing she has complete control over is how hard she hustles and how good her attitude is. Those two attributes will go a long way. Tell her to be herself.

Sometimes the coach will see enough in one tryout to offer to a kid on the spot. Most have been around long enough to know what they want. Sometimes, they want to see other players before they offer on a certain position. Either way, tell her to relax and do her thing.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
My DD was offered a spot during a tryout for the past two years. Last year it was in the middle of the tryout and the head coach watched my DD pitch and offered her a spot before she batted or did fielding work. This year we attended a private tryout and the coach offered us a spot the next morning before we attended the regular "team" tryout. BTW - we didn't accept either position. We thought it was a bit premature to offer a spot in the middle of a tryout.

I don't know why you would say that...it didn't take me long at all to realize during our first team tryout whom I was going to offer a spot. I knew what I was looking for (all coaches/managers should IMHO), saw it, and acted accordingly. If you're a team shopper, I don't have a problem with that as long as you tell me up front - and even if you are a team shopper, that wouldn't stop me from making an offer.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
First day of three tryouts tomorrow and I know I'll be offering some roster spots to some players (beyond some core girls from last seasons team who are going to be on the team).

Our coaching staff know what we have, what is out there and what kind of player we need for the level of the team. If a player at tryouts has what we are looking for there is really no reason to wait to make an offer (especially when I am sure there are likely 4 or 5 other teams are ready to offer the same player a spot as well). Also this gives some people an opportunity to say 'No' early which gives me an idea of how many roster spots I need to fill as tryouts and recruiting continues.

Borderline players - especially ones that are totally new - we want to look at 2 or 3 times which is why we don't have just one tryout. Also you want to make sure you are still involved with them if one of the top choices decides to go elsewhere and a roster spot is available.

As a coaching staff it can be tough - you want to make sure you have enough players but at the same time you don't want to fill your roster and have someone great turn up on the third day of tryouts or call you out of the blue looking for a roster spot.

Our policy has always been that once we have the roster set we don't look to replace players and only do so if they are removed from the team for cause or a player leaves because their parents move them to another team (or they stop playing) for whatever reason (which hasn't happened in 2 years - knock on wood). We win and lose with what we have especially at the younger ages - we wont player shop like a lot of teams do through out the season.

-- Just looked at my notes for last seasons teams. After tryout 1 we had 7 confirmed, 4 offers for spots (2 declined). After tryout 2 we we had 9 confirmed, 2 new offers (1 declined). After tryout 3 we had 10 confirmed and 1 more offer (which was declined). We then picked up a great player who didn't tryout but didn't make the 'big' local team and we added her. We started the season with 11. After our first games we were contacted by a player who we had made an earlier offer to who hadn't worked out with a different team. We added her. That gave us 12 and we played with that roster through the season.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
its better to offer the ones you are sure of, then you can concentrate on the rest. If there is a 2 day tryout the ones that get offered usually are asked to not come the next day, so the coach can spend more time with the ones on the bubble.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah