Team reneges after extending offer

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 28, 2021
I would go ahead and publicize the name of the org, here, and on social media. gotta shame for crap like this or they will keep doing it.

so sorry to hear about the situation you are in. how SE are you in PA, is JErsey or DE possible? I would also get on out on social media and say DD is looking for new home, and put in details of her previous A level experience.
I will publicize their name here AFTER DD gets on a team. I want to make sure no one else fall in their trap in the future.

Yes, we are close to NJ and DE. Thankfully, the 3 other top organizations I emailed contacted me back immediately and would look at DD, and they have few spots left esp. for a pitcher. It's now back to the tryout circuit one more time!

Sep 13, 2020
Last year I learned to always, always, go to more tryouts than you think you need to. DD2 went to three tryouts, got three offers, and accepted one. Unfortunately, the team didn't come together (no need to go into reasons). We called her former team (tryout number 2), and they had just filled their roster. Went to team number 3 and she ended up there. Not the best fit since the team is a bit above her ability level and she sat on the bench quite a bit. Good coaching, though, and she learned quite a bit until she tore her labrum (surgery this past April). Those tryouts last year are helping us this year since she can't throw or bat during current tryouts.

This year, DD1 got an offer with the team that she wants to play with. We've accepted the offer but are still attending 3 other tryouts. We'll decline any other offers we might get but the coaches will know her in case something falls through and we have to scramble for another team.

Always look out for your kids because even with well intentioned coaches, bad things can happen

Oct 4, 2018
Last year I learned to always, always, go to more tryouts than you think you need to. DD2 went to three tryouts, got three offers, and accepted one. Unfortunately, the team didn't come together (no need to go into reasons). We called her former team (tryout number 2), and they had just filled their roster. Went to team number 3 and she ended up there. Not the best fit since the team is a bit above her ability level and she sat on the bench quite a bit. Good coaching, though, and she learned quite a bit until she tore her labrum (surgery this past April). Those tryouts last year are helping us this year since she can't throw or bat during current tryouts.

This year, DD1 got an offer with the team that she wants to play with. We've accepted the offer but are still attending 3 other tryouts. We'll decline any other offers we might get but the coaches will know her in case something falls through and we have to scramble for another team.

Always look out for your kids because even with well intentioned coaches, bad things can happen

Careful with that.

If you have accepted an offer and go to a tryout, many coaches don't like that. And they quite likely will know. Personally, I'd tell them before the tryout with something like "My DD has accepted an offer but you know how teams sometimes fold over-night and we love your team and want to have back-ups ready just in case".

Jun 27, 2018
The same exact thing happened to us last year, also in SE PA. hmmmmm….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 28, 2020
NJ
My DD plays in SJ but this year we ventured into SE PA for tryouts. so,you have my curiosity. We were considering some more before she finally said yes to an offer. We’ve gone through the offer pull in the past and know a few other who’ve been through the same. Not a fun situation but word gets around those coaches/orgs. Both sides just being upfront about where they are at shouldn’t be that tough.

May 6, 2015
Both sides just being upfront about where they are at shouldn’t be that tough.

but it seems like it is too tough for far too many coaches/orgs. I cannot speak for parents/players other than our family, and we have never been completely upfront and honest with every coach we have talked to. we do not ghost coaches, if DD accepts a different offer, we let every coach she tried out for, even if they did not extend an offer, know it. we are upfront about DDs other activities and the priority of each at any given time, and about absolute blackout dates for DD (basically two weekends a year).

Dec 6, 2019
This all sucks, but do I understand correctly that you accepted an offer without knowing who the coach was??

Mar 10, 2020
As many parents know, tryouts are not easy. You spend hours researching the best teams for your child, figuring out the time and date for each tryout, driving from one tryout to another, then patiently spending your entire evening in that tryout. Repeat and wash for however many tryouts you have to do until your child gets a spot.

DD has been playing on A-teams in our previous town. We moved back to Southeastern PA 2 years ago in Sept. At that point, all the tryouts were over, so she had to settle on a local travel team. With COVID-19 shutdown, there weren't too many tryouts last year, so she played on this local team for another year. Tryouts are finally on the way this July, so we researched for the top teams in this area and scheduled several private tryouts for her. For one of her top choices, she attended a private tryout and one of their open tryout, and was immediately offered a spot right then and there. Since this was her top choice, she accepted immediately, and we stopped going to other tryouts now that she has secured a spot on her top choice.

A week later while we were away on vacation, they emailed (not called) that they were pulling the team DD would be on. Needless to say, our vacation was ruined.

There was another organization that was also her top choice, and they had asked her to come back for another tryout after an initial review, and we turned it down due to this one offer. We are now scrambling to schedule another tryout with that other organization and hoping that they still have a spot.

We also found out from others that this organization is known for this dirty trick. Instead of making sure they have enough coaches to create a team, they first lock up the best prospects, and then if they can't find coaches, they would pull the team, leaving 10-11 girls with nowhere else to go. In the meantime, they lock up the best prospects so other organizations won't have them. How many top players quit the sport after experiencing this with this org? We will never know. I only know that DD lost her faith in this sport and is now seriously thinking about focusing on another sport instead.
Its a people problem your going to find in any sport.
Same as there are people who quit teams all the time. Not condoning bad integrity. Its the nature of people competing.

Jun 27, 2018
This all sucks, but do I understand correctly that you accepted an offer without knowing who the coach was??

In our case, we were told who the coach would be and then about two weeks later we were told she stepped down for personal reasons. Turns out she was still involved as an AC in the org.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 9, 2020
As many parents know, tryouts are not easy. You spend hours researching the best teams for your child, figuring out the time and date for each tryout, driving from one tryout to another, then patiently spending your entire evening in that tryout. Repeat and wash for however many tryouts you have to do until your child gets a spot.

DD has been playing on A-teams in our previous town. We moved back to Southeastern PA 2 years ago in Sept. At that point, all the tryouts were over, so she had to settle on a local travel team. With COVID-19 shutdown, there weren't too many tryouts last year, so she played on this local team for another year. Tryouts are finally on the way this July, so we researched for the top teams in this area and scheduled several private tryouts for her. For one of her top choices, she attended a private tryout and one of their open tryout, and was immediately offered a spot right then and there. Since this was her top choice, she accepted immediately, and we stopped going to other tryouts now that she has secured a spot on her top choice.

A week later while we were away on vacation, they emailed (not called) that they were pulling the team DD would be on. Needless to say, our vacation was ruined.

There was another organization that was also her top choice, and they had asked her to come back for another tryout after an initial review, and we turned it down due to this one offer. We are now scrambling to schedule another tryout with that other organization and hoping that they still have a spot.

We also found out from others that this organization is known for this dirty trick. Instead of making sure they have enough coaches to create a team, they first lock up the best prospects, and then if they can't find coaches, they would pull the team, leaving 10-11 girls with nowhere else to go. In the meantime, they lock up the best prospects so other organizations won't have them. How many top players quit the sport after experiencing this with this org? We will never know. I only know that DD lost her faith in this sport and is now seriously thinking about focusing on another sport instead.
thats a terrible situation your daughter is going through. it is not the first time I have heard this type of activity. I have seen kids punished or thrown off their orig team bc they went to try out for another organization. some organizations not as high level will purposely schedule their tryouts to directly conflict with the more desirable or more competitive team. then there are the coaches or affiliations of these lesser programs that actually go through the process of trying out just to be at facility during tryouts to poach other kids for their own program. It is not always one sided.. there was time 4-5 girls tried out for respective teams and were higher level players that made these programs for the fall.. teams were most likely excited to know they had these kids on their rosters going into fall season.. my daughters team travels to first tournament of fall thinning she is gonna play against these high level kids when in fact they don't show up bc they all had their own secret arrangement to start a NEW program but the paperwork and insurance may not have been in place in time to play so soon.. needless to say they got there paperwork in order and left these teams high and dry thinking they had these kids on their team.. so it goes both ways and not a great thing to experience at any age. but hopefully your daughter will learn form this and as my dad says there is an rear for every seat and things happen for reason... little side note that so called new dream team didn't last the fall due to egos..best of luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3girlsDad