OF- throw to cutoff?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
When you have an OF with a strong arm (can hit Catcher with a straight throw), do you encourage her and use that skill or should she always just hit the cutoff and let her take it from there?

I was talking with some guys (who were more parent than coaches) and they said that on a proper relay, throws at chest high, the throw to the cutoff is quicker to home than a throw directly from the OF. (I'm thinking they may be confusing slowpitch for fastpitch)

The HS Varsity SB Coach insists that all OF hit the cutoff who then runs it to the circle.

Some of the most exciting plays i've seen involve a runner trying to beat a throw home. If you have a strong OFer, why take that throw out of her arsenal?

Jan 24, 2011
If we have strong armed OF , we allow them to throw directly to the bases , BUT the throw has to be thrown THROUGH (NOT TO ) the cutoff. This way it can be cut if necessary.

Sep 21, 2011
The throw should almost always go through the cut at around head/shoulder height. This gives the catcher three options (let it go, relay or cut). If the outfielder throws it too high over the cut, the trail runners can often take an extra base. But if the winning run is coming home in the bottom of the last inning, then air it out.

Oct 25, 2009
Also, make sure the throw from OF takes at least one hop, not all the way to the catcher in the air. Easier for the catcher to handle. When the adrenalin's pumping a throw attempt all the way without a hop will likely end up at the backstop.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
Throw should be able to be cut. When the throw is not cut off, the throw should end up being a long one hop to the catcher.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
When you have an OF with a strong arm (can hit Catcher with a straight throw), do you encourage her and use that skill or should she always just hit the cutoff and let her take it from there?

I was talking with some guys (who were more parent than coaches) and they said that on a proper relay, throws at chest high, the throw to the cutoff is quicker to home than a throw directly from the OF. (I'm thinking they may be confusing slowpitch for fastpitch)

The throw should always be toward the target base. The cut-off should positioned in the path of that throw.

The HS Varsity SB Coach insists that all OF hit the cutoff who then runs it to the circle.

Why? Unless the cut-off is the pitcher, the ball being in the circle is irrelevant and has no bearing on play.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I don't know the HS rules, but at the levels I've been coaching when the ball is in the circle it stops play, so I figured that's why he does it. (he's very defense oriented)

R

RayR

Tell that to Saltalamacchia....Throw from CF one hopped its way to the backstop for an inside the park HR...guy was out by 10 feet easy...although it was a short hop...

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=19704805

Also, make sure the throw from OF takes at least one hop, not all the way to the catcher in the air. Easier for the catcher to handle. When the adrenalin's pumping a throw attempt all the way without a hop will likely end up at the backstop.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
I don't know the HS rules, but at the levels I've been coaching when the ball is in the circle it stops play, so I figured that's why he does it. (he's very defense oriented)

I didn't think it stopped play. As runner could continue until she stops and immediately decides to go back to the previous base.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
T Red you are correct, it doesn't stop play in High School, same as ASA. . I have seen this in some rec games, as a rule. We coach the same in high school as we do in 18U travel on a throw to home. We have an OF that can throw a bullet to home from deep LF that has thrown many out at the plate, even on a tag fly.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom