To throw left-handed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 9, 2023
I have a 5 yr old daughter starting softball. She's done everything in life right-handed (writing, eating, etc.) When she told me she doesn't have a hit/throw preference, I started her hitting left-handed and she's liked that so far. Should I have her throw left-handed as well? She likes that idea, and I'd like for her to try pitching eventually.

Feb 25, 2020
I have a 5 yr old daughter starting softball. She's done everything in life right-handed (writing, eating, etc.) When she told me she doesn't have a hit/throw preference, I started her hitting left-handed and she's liked that so far. Should I have her throw left-handed as well? She likes that idea, and I'd like for her to try pitching eventually.

Try both stick with whatever she's better at.

Jun 18, 2023
just heard this in a remembrance of Brooks Robinson, he was a natural lefty (So reversed but same concept) but there are some who attribute some of his fielding prowess to fielding with your natural hand.

Hitting's easy to just switch to righty if she develops more of a handedness preference. Catching would be more difficult because you'd need a backup glove, but I'd still have her try both for a bit, if just to not let that ambidextrousness atrophy.

Oct 4, 2018
Just about every "good" softball players tries pitching at some point in their career. A small percentage stick with it.

A leftie pitcher is great, but so is a rightie. If she gets stuck being a leftie she may not get a chance to play 2B, SS, 3B or Catcher depending on her coaches. I see so many lefty OFs because that's what's left for them. 1B is an obvious choice for a leftie, but it's sometimes a better position for a huge hitter that needs to be in the lineup.

Jan 25, 2022
Just about every "good" softball players tries pitching at some point in their career. A small percentage stick with it.

A leftie pitcher is great, but so is a rightie. If she gets stuck being a leftie she may not get a chance to play 2B, SS, 3B or Catcher depending on her coaches. I see so many lefty OFs because that's what's left for them. 1B is an obvious choice for a leftie, but it's sometimes a better position for a huge hitter that needs to be in the lineup.
I could have sworn I gave this same answer yesterday. LHT isn't an advantage anywhere but pitcher. It's fine for 1B and OF but the rest of the infield you're at a disadvantage. Catchers have a potential obstruction most of the time with there being more RHB. There are unicorns, of course. Our primary catcher is LHT and plays 1B or 2B otherwise. We have like 5 lefties on the team this spring. Gonna have to shove most of them in the outfield.

Useless factoid...not a single lefty I've coached has seen the Simpson's episode where Ned opens The Leftorium store. I ask them all.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
LHT isn't an advantage anywhere but pitcher.

I'm unaware of any advantages for a left-handed pitcher in softball. It's a different look, but I don't believe you have the same platoon advantages against left-handed hitters you do in baseball.

As others have said, don't force her to throw lefty. In fact, if she's about equally proficient at both, have her throw righty, but keep her batting on the left side. That's ideal in softball.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Preface this that I have never had a lefty C.

I would think they would be better fielder on bunts then a righty.

Smaller point they would also be better picking runners off 1st.

Jun 18, 2023
Preface this that I have never had a lefty C.

I would think they would be better fielder on bunts then a righty.

Smaller point they would also be better picking runners off 1st.

The lefty catcher thing is mostly nonsense in baseball, i imagine in softball as well.

I think a big contributor is just the shared little league coaches catchers gear probably has a glove for a righty.

I'm unaware of any advantages for a left-handed pitcher in softball. It's a different look, but I don't believe you have the same platoon advantages against left-handed hitters you do in baseball.

I'm curious about this. (and it's tough to google and differentiate softball/baseball I'm finding)

It doesn't seem like horizontal movement is as big a thing in softball (especially compared to _2023_ baseball) and the shorter pitching distances gives less time for break, but do pitcher's not throw different sequences to lefties? If they do than the platoon advantage must exist, even if it's smaller.

On the other hand, I bet the release point, from the batter's view, isn't as far apart in softball, more centered towards the power line? deGrom and Kershaw release from just off the edge of the plate, so they're about 20" apart. Where do softball pitchers release from, in regards to the plate? If you're used to seeing pitches start from right at you and curve into the plate, that's way different than watching it look way outside and curve towards you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles